Torn between 13",15" rMBP or waiting

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by StellarEvo, May 2, 2014.

1. StellarEvo macrumors newbie

I'm looking at getting my first Apple computer since the Apple IIc+ back when I was around 5 years old and I'm not sure what to do.

I've got a desktop PC that is pretty powerful and actually has higher benchmark scores than the 2.6GHz 13" rMBP that I'm considering. I have a good bit of games on my desktop PC but have been trying to do more gaming on a console system rather than a computer. I use Photoshop from time to time and edit some GoPro videos and I've never had a issue trying to do either on that desktop.

So that leads to my problem...as a PC user, I'm used to having quad core i7s with lots of memory and a huge hard drive but I wonder if it is really overkill on a Mac.
    I'm looking at the:
    13" rMBP with the 2.6GHz processor, 8GB RAM and 512GB Hard Drive
    15" rMBP with the 2.3GHz processor, 16GB RAM and 512GB Hard Drive

My PC instincts tell me I should get the 15" because it's a beast. But I think in reality, it may be more than I need. The price is also much higher. That leads to wondering they might bump some specs for the rMBP at WWDC that would lower the cost of them.

The games just won't be a high quality (graphics-wise) on the Mac so it makes me wonder why I even care about getting Iris Pro with the 750M in it. So it is really worth it to spend the extra money for the i7 and the 16 gigs of RAM for some Photoshop and occasional GoPro editing?

Long winded - I know but I'm just not sure which route to take and some tips from users would be much appreciated.

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

3. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

I don't personally own a MacBook Pro but I can try to help. The 15s have Quad Core i7 processors, which might fit your workflow well, coming from a PC with quad i7. The 13 inch only has dual core processors however as the i7 has hyper threading they are still very capable. I would personally say get as much RAM as you can afford for future proofing (I made the mistake of not getting a lot of RAM with my MBA). Storage wise, the 512SSD is great and is really fast too, which will be great for editing GoPro footage. I would say the graphics card in the higher end 15 inch (the lower one does not have dedicated graphics) would defiantly help for editing and photoshop, and you would be surprised with the gaming performance in bootcamp on a high end MBP, its remarkably good for a laptop. When using photoshop you will have a lot more real estate with the 15 because of the higher resolution, but not by much, however if your using the laptop's screen and not another monitor then you might find yourself squinting at the screen, I do with my MBA! Finally regarding WWDC, as everyone says here, if you need it now, buy now, if you can wait, wait. Hope this helps :)

4. StellarEvo, May 2, 2014
    Last edited: May 2, 2014

StellarEvo thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm don't want to sacrifice the hard drive space and I'm also looking at refurbished so I won't be able to upgrade it as though I was buying a new one.

Cheapest (late 2013) 15" with 2.0Ghz/16GB/512GB is about $2,120.
    Ideal (late 2013) 15" with 2.3Ghz/16GB/512GB is about $2,200.
    Ideal (late 2013) 13" with 2.6Ghz/8GB/512GB is about $1,530.

That's why I'm not sure if around $700 is needed for what I'd like to do.

I do have a 2560x1440 Mac compatible monitor that I was planning on keeping and using when I needed to be "docked."

I initially was totally convinced the 15" was what I needed but a Mac friend mentioned the 13" might work well for me and then I saw the cost. It's gotten me all kinds of unsure now.

5. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

I would personally go with the cheapest 15" as the integrated graphics are still great and will do fine for editing. I would say if you weren't doing graphics work the 13 would be fine, but not sure if the screen is a bit small, you could turn on the "More Space" option in the Display Preferences which would give you a lot more real estate. I would say its personal choice, but I can edit HD video on my base model 11" air so a rMBP would be great for anything! Get as good as you can afford.

6. MacLC macrumors 6502

First question is, "is this a desktop replacement (of your existing PC) or just a complement?"

If it is a replacement, please consider what the mad geniuses at Bare Feats put together.
    http://barefeats.com/rmbpc.html
    http://barefeats.com/rmbpc1.html
    http://barefeats.com/rmbpc2.html

The MBPs can't really keep up with a desktop computer. The 15" will just be $700 more disappointing.

If your new laptop is a complement to your desktop, the 13" will be good enough for the road as well as a lot lighter :apple:

Another factor is your personal financial situation. Only you can say for yourself what your situation is now and what it may look like in a couple years. Do you perceive that you may be happier for having spent less time waiting for stuff to process, or for having $700 extra in the bank (or invested or that much less debt)?

7. StellarEvo thread starter macrumors newbie

It is more of a replacement. We are "redoing" the office and it is becoming a workout room so the big desk and desktop computer are going along with it.

I've never really had a laptop because I've known that a laptop won't keep up with the desktops but I was hoping that if I was realistic about my usage and needs (light gaming, photo & video processing, heavy internet usage, bills & taxes); the rMBP wouldn't seem like it was any slower than my desktop.

I could get either one financially, I suppose. But I would like to know that I'm not spending money when it isn't really necessary. If I could walk away and say: "I got a laptop that feels just as capable as my desktop AND I saved $700!" Who wouldn't at least ask if that was reasonable? :D

8. hollandog macrumors regular

hollandog

I use my 13 mbp as desktop replacement and it works well. I don't game on it but I do Photoshop and light gopro edits. I have it connected to a CalDigit TB dock. one plug and you are good to go. I upgraded it to 16gb ram and Samsung ssd. I think it can last me another 3 years.

9. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

My rMBP is the top line, all maxed out.

for what you are going to do compared to what I do, I think the graphics, you could easily do with the iRis Pro (I'm surprised how good it is, and I don't take much notice to the discrete switching).
    the upgraded 16 GB Ram mint also be a tad too much, I hit the RAM lim...no, no I don't actually, I run video editing, photoshop and bunch of other things, and RAM is yet not an issue. so perhaps 8 would be more than fine.

I decided to upgrade mine to the 1 TB SSD, since i came from a mini with 1 TB and almost full, as I moved all things over I managed to make some more space and added a Windows Partition of 120 GB, this I'm very happy to have done, and if 512 GB SSD is enough for your needs and perhaps with a bit of space for a "secondary windows PC" why not.

It doesn't sound like you are looking for the "best of the best" but a good all rounder, the screen 15" is definitely a big plus compared the 13", and the stereo speakers. If I was to he gone 13" it would only be because of the "carrying size", but it's not about weight and the size different when closed isn't much...these machines are thin.

so all in all, It sounds to me the smaller version of the 15" will make you a happy Mac-user again :)

10. StellarEvo thread starter macrumors newbie

My wife and I went to the Apple store after dinner last night and I played around on both rMBPs and I just liked the 15" model more. The extra size screen with very little extra bulk and the extra horsepower I'll get with the 15" will give it some longevity (I hope).

I really thank you all for the feedback, it was very helpful. I'll hopefully get that order in soon!

11. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

Good plan! I love my 15" its much better than the 13" (I don't have a retina but..) even the base 2.0GHz model should be fine, I wouldn't say don't get a higher end model though, as long as you can afford it.

12. jkundi macrumors member

Good choice I too went for the 15" rMBP with the 2.3GHz processor, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD. Before making this purchase afew weeks ago I was pulling my hair out wondering if it was the 13" I needed due to it being portable then the 15". Hell I visited the apple store more times then I can remember. I'm happy I went with the 15" its just right and not so heavy/big to carry around. Screen size offers me a better work area when using Photoshop/Lightroom etc. I use it at my desk to with a Rain Design stand and I don't miss a desktop. :D

13. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Your sources are very much graphic orientated. The CPUs in the 15" rMBP are Apple exclusive chips designed by Intel, and have incredible performance -- they outperform the i5 iMacs and the 2.6GHz model has slightly better performance to the i7 in the iMac.

14. jakesaunders27, May 13, 2014
    Last edited: May 13, 2014

jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Is that your website by any chance

EDIT - Just looked through your posts, do something useful instead of correcting peoples grammar and insulting people.

15. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

Why quibble with any of this. Get the Maxed out 2.6 Ghz 1Tb SSD 15.4 inch retina macbook pro.

16. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

:D agreed, thats what I did...

"Do I really need less storage"..."it's just 400 bucks more"...."the dual graphics ? don't need that"..."are you sure ??" and so on, ended up at the maxed out version, although it's quiet a jump in price I do think it's pleasurable to work with and I will (from now on) try to keep a steady renew cycle, so a maxed makes more "after-market-money" than a "standard" (that can be bought anywhere rather than one that is BTO)

(admittedly I only got 160 GB space left and my RAM maxes out sometimes when my work IRL workload is maxing out)