Torn between 2011 15' MBP 2.0ghz vs 2.2ghz!! HELP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fel10, Feb 25, 2011.

1. fel10, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011

fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

I'm off to go pick up the new MBP, but I'm kind of torn between the two. I'm kind of leaning towards the 2.0ghz bc I will save 400 bucks. But is it worth spending the $400 for the 2.2ghz?

I'm going to use it mostly for playing Steam games, Pixelmator, editing videos on iMovie, iPhoto, iTunes, browsing the web.

2. fel10 thread starter macrumors 68000

fel10

I also want to save some money for the new iPad coming out next week!

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No idea. You don't provide any information as to what you use your machine for so that someone might be able to answer your question.

4. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I had this decision to make too. I went with the base because the only real differences are the HDD and the discrete graphics.

I was taking the stock drive out regardless and I will not be pushing the computer too hard, so no use for the extra graphics.

5. fel10 thread starter macrumors 68000

fel10

Sorry about that. I'm going to use it mostly for playing Steam games, Pixelmator, editing videos on iMovie, iPhoto, iTunes, browsing the web.

6. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

The graphics card with the 2.2 ghz has 1 G dedicated memory vs. the 2.0 ghz which only has 256 of dedicated memory. Does that sway you at all? I guess it depends on how graphically intensive your programs are that you use.

7. ChronoIMG macrumors regular

ChronoIMG

Steam games = Must get 2.2ghz with 1GB GPU. End of story.

8. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

+1

The benchmarks on the low end 15" are poor and since you're a gamer I'd say to spend the money. If you're a student it's only a $300 difference and you do get a faster processor and larger HDD also.

9. fel10 thread starter macrumors 68000

fel10

Thanks for the help guys. I think I'm just gonna go ahead, and spend the extra money for the 2.2ghz. And the new iPad can wait. My current iPad should be just as useful as it is now when the new one comes out.

10. ChronoIMG macrumors regular

ChronoIMG

Good choice. Off topic; what is the draw on the iPad? I mean I love the iPad because Apple stock is UP in part due to it but I've yet to buy one. I was a day one iPhone 2g buyer and I've now got a stack of iPhones lying around the house; huge fan of the iOS and the iPhone. But I just haven't caught the iPad bug... I don't understand why but it just doesn't "click" with me. My iPhone 4 does everything an iPad does it's just smaller. Am I missing something?

11. benpatient macrumors 68000

Can you point me towards these benchmarks?

All I have seen so far has been the 13" with the integrated, and the upgraded 15/17 with the 1 GB graphics chip.

I've not been able to find a comparison that shows all 3 graphics options.

12. cbj1964 macrumors newbie

2.0GHz vs 2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core I7

I, too am not sure which to purchase. I will be using my Macbook for Web design as well as high end graphics (utilizing such programs as Photoshop, Illustrator). Any thoughts would be appreciated.