Torn between 2017 and 2018 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jschut82, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Jschut82 macrumors newbie

Jschut82

At this moment I have a 13 inch 2017 base model (2,3 dual core i5) with 16gb and 1 TB. I love this laptop. However it's just a bit to small for me. I almost only use the laptop hooked up to a 27 inch 4k screen. while I love to do that I am under the impression that a 15 inch will be enough for me more then 50% of the time.

I also looked at the Mac mini 2018 but I think a 15 inch MacBook Pro would better fit my situation.

So I decided to switch to a 15 inch MacBook Pro. Now I have 2 options:
    - 2018 15 inch MacBook Pro Base model (2,2 Ghz six core i7, 16 gb, 256 SSD, Radion 550x)
    - 2017 15 inch MacBook Pro (3,1 Ghz quad core i7, 16 gb, 256 SSD, Radeon 560)

I can get both new for exactly the same price.

Normally I would instantly go for the newest model. But the problems I read about the 2018 model made me doubt.

Of course the 2018 model has the better processor. Biggest difference in the multicore of course.

I mainly use the machine for web development and I am starting with Xcode. If I use a virtual machine it will be limited to just one.

I think both will be sufficient. But I can't make up my mind.

Should I just ignore the problems with the 2018 model and T2 chip? Are the problems less frequent then it looks? Or go save(r) with the 2017 version and take the gen2 keyboard instead of the gen 3?

Any other things I am missing? Thanks!

2. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

2017:
    Generation 2 keyboard - More prone to failure. Has a four year warranty.
    Runs slower and cooler.
    Reports of individual speaker failure.
    T1 chip

2018:
    Generation 3 keyboard - Greatly improved but still some complaints of failures. Not currently under the four year warranty.
    Runs very fast and hot.
    Reports of coil whining
    T2 chip

My advise is to buy the computer you need / want from an Apple store and use it a lot during the 14 day return period. If it has any issues, return it for a refund.

The chances are you will see no problems on either the 2017 or 2018 MacBook Pros.

Note: I ended up purchasing a 2017 15" MacBook Pro (waiting for delivery) because I wanted a cooler laptop, didn't want the T2, and it was cheaper. The performance difference wasn't an issue for me.

3. robvas macrumors 68030

2018 no doubt. Unless you get a very good deal on a 2017 used.

4. Appledoesnotlisten, Dec 1, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018

Appledoesnotlisten macrumors member

Appledoesnotlisten

My 2017, bought in December 2017 has swollen its battery and failed key. So it's going to repair.
    My 2018, bought just now, is too hot, so it's going back when my 2017 comes from repair.

If I were to choose now, I would definitely choose the 2017, even with the inferior keyboard. Because it does not heat too much AND it essentially has a 4 year warranty on the top case, which includes keyboard, battery, trackpad.

5. FrostyF macrumors regular

6. 0-0 macrumors member

0-0

7. unglued macrumors 6502

Another vote for the 2018. As long as you can return it if there’s problems. It’s not common to have problems just a few unlucky ones.

8. Eidekos81 macrumors newbie

my dilemna as well, but resorted to 2017 MB 15 since cost was an issue for me and got a used one within warranty. so planning to get applecare next year when warranty mear expiry.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Here's my $.02.
    First the T2 issue - it seems this issue has been getting better for those affected, I think apples updates to macOS have improved the situation. Secondly the people affected by the problem are a small percentage AFAIK. I know my machine is not affected, but from what apple stated in supporting this, its not a lot of machines - little consolation to those that have it, I know.

Differences between the 2017 and 2018, are such that imo, it makes more sense to buy the 2018, at least it does for me. You get a better GPU (much better if you opt for the Vega GPU), a 6 core beast that is extremely fast and an updated keyboard that offers greater promise to sticky key problem that has plagued the butter keyboards.

There's no right or wrong answer, and not everyone will see my thought process and agree, others have different takes on the issues, and different opinions on the models, but for me, I opted for the 2018 and overall I've been happy with the choice.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 2, 2018 ---
    I turned that off, I hate that on my phone, and I hate that on my computer and it messes up the white point which I can't have :)

10. Jschut82 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jschut82

I am also thinking the t2 issues are less common then they look.

I think I will go for the 2018 model and make sure to test it to see if there are problems with the t2. I guess there are ways to see of it has problems.

11. DSTOFEL macrumors 6502a

That's the decision I recently made. I had two equivalently spec'd new 15 inch MBP's sitting in my living room (unopened). Both from B&H. The 2017, 2.9GH, 512, 560 was a $2,049 deal and the 2018, 2.6GH, 512, 560X was $2,399. I had the same forces pulling at me that you described. The 4 yr warranty covering any potential 2017 KB issues was pulling hard at me. However, I eventually chose the 2018...mainly for the performance gains over the 2017 and the 3rd generation BF KB. Time will tell if I made a good decision....but happy with the decision so far.

12. newellj macrumors 604

Do you have the extended holiday return period in NL? If you do, you will have until early January to make up your mind.

13. FrostyF macrumors regular

I hate it on my phone but love it on my MBP.