Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickv

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2004
I'm getting my 17" powerbook bag here... it's great, and looks really stylish!

http://acmemade.com/bags.html

And they make special bags specifically for the 17"! If you're in NYC SoHo, they have some of them at the apple store there.

kasei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Well guys, I picked up my new 17" Powerbook Saturday and I love it. I can't put this thing down. I am at school for a 1 week total immersion in Chinese and there are several guys in the program from Intel. Of course they gave me hell about buying an Apple, but when I made a presentation on my shiny new Powerbook they were standing over me wanting to see the features.

This is the best purchase I have made. I do have one funny pixel that doesn't show grey and I can only see it on my desktop on the hard drive icon. I have watched a couple of movies and it does not show up. Does anyone know of a dead pixel detect and repair program? Actually I ran one program and it said I did not have any, so it could be dirt. I don't know. Anyway, this system is awesome, and I picked up a Brenthaven Backpack with my purchase. It is a great backpack and I also use the Booq 17" sleeve as a secondary carrying case. The Brenthaven sleeve is great and that is my main sleeve. I switch the brenthaven sleeve out when I get to campus and put the Booq in my backpack. I can carry the system comfortably during break without carry the entire backpack. The Brenthaven sleeve in the backpack is great, especially when traveling on the airplane since you have to kick your bag under the seat in front of you.

After two years of research, window shopping and waiting I am finally able to type a post on my first Apple product.

firewire

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2003
Alabama
I have a 17" Powerbook(the best laptop on the Planet) and I take it almost everywhere I go!! Forget about a bag!!!! get a ZERO Halliburton. They have the best cases around, and also look James Bond like!!!!!!

Brundlefly

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
YAAY

I use the 17 for everything, right now its plugged into a 21 inch sony monitor running a combined 2056x1352x1440x900. Overkill? I think not, I just pumped out 6 - 8x11 brochures and the real estate was indeed handy.

I use mine all the time flying from Calgary to Montreal, and all the Dell 14-15 inch screens have a problem fitting on the tray, but the 17 inch sure doesn't, its more than a full inch shorter than those frankenstein design PC's and about the same width, its size is very deceiving.

the weight doesn't bother me either, 7 pounds? come on, the toshiba 17 inch is 13 pounds + with a battery, and like a brick in its sizing.

I saw this post a few weeks ago, and I wanted to weigh in, but you made the right choice....

best of luck.

donniedarko

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2004
Los Angeles
Originally posted by kasei
Well guys, I picked up my new 17" Powerbook Saturday and I love it. I can't put this thing down. I am at school for a 1 week total immersion in Chinese and there are several guys in the program from Intel. Of course they gave me hell about buying an Apple, but when I made a presentation on my shiny new Powerbook they were standing over me wanting to see the features.

This is the best purchase I have made. I do have one funny pixel that doesn't show grey and I can only see it on my desktop on the hard drive icon. I have watched a couple of movies and it does not show up. Does anyone know of a dead pixel detect and repair program? Actually I ran one program and it said I did not have any, so it could be dirt. I don't know. Anyway, this system is awesome, and I picked up a Brenthaven Backpack with my purchase. It is a great backpack and I also use the Booq 17" sleeve as a secondary carrying case. The Brenthaven sleeve is great and that is my main sleeve. I switch the brenthaven sleeve out when I get to campus and put the Booq in my backpack. I can carry the system comfortably during break without carry the entire backpack. The Brenthaven sleeve in the backpack is great, especially when traveling on the airplane since you have to kick your bag under the seat in front of you.

After two years of research, window shopping and waiting I am finally able to type a post on my first Apple product.

Yeeeeaaaah Boi!!!
We get to caught up in this versus that. My 17 is the shiite!!! and I'm not tripping at all. The bottom line is ALL Apple gear is on point, but the 17" 1.33 is as it is positioned -the flagship model-. The 15" easier to travel with, maybe. maybe not... for those who got the 17", we got em' so we got em'...Enjoy your machine Kasei!!

Calvinatir

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2003
LA
I love my 17, it actually doesnt eat as much battery as you might expect. If Im surfing the web (using airport) or typing in class or doing anything of that nature..i can expect anywhere from 3 hours to 3 hours 45 minutes. I expected much less when I got it. the only trouble I find is sittig in Coach seats on airplanes...when you open the screen up it hits the seat in front of you. I dont mind much..but if that person decide to move their seat back then that could cause a problem. lol. Otherwise, i would NEVER trade my 17 for anything else. It's just perfect for what I do.

concept

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2004
Silicon Valley
donniedarko,

Can you give us details of your custom-designed bag? I'm also looking for a sleeve / bag combination (or just a bag if I can just find one nice enough), and would be interested in seeing it! Thanks!

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
firewire said:
I have a 17" Powerbook(the best laptop on the Planet) and I take it almost everywhere I go!! Forget about a bag!!!! get a ZERO Halliburton. They have the best cases around, and also look James Bond like!!!!!!

Got a link or a photo of this bag?
I haven't heard of it?

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
kasei said:
Ok guys I need your help. I have been ready to switch to a Mac for over a year and I am prepared to take the plunge. However I am really torn between the 15" Powerbook and the 17" Powerbook.

I have to travel every other week via plane so I need something that will travel well. This will be my main computer and I will not be buying a monitor. I stood in the Apple store for an hour trying to decide which system I should buy. I have read and seen first hand some of the production problems with the 15" PB and I am sure those glitches will be solved very soon. I am of course waiting until next week to buy the system as I am hopeful we will see an update or a price break. Hell I would take both.

Is the 17" worth the additional $400?

if you're travelling a lot, buy the 15" model. even that needs to be taken care of, and the wider it gets, the easier it is to break. especially the display, which is the most vulnerable and the most expensive part of such a computer.

the extra screen space of the bigger model means nothing to you unless you are a graphics/video/audio professional and in that case you would know what you need.

save that $400 and use it in good quality case, second battery and airplane charger. those are the things you will need, plus an insurance other than applecare.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
VAG said:
Also in my opinion have in mind the battery life.
Cause a 17" TFT "eats" more battery than a 15" ;)

unfortunately apple has decided to put a smaller battery into the 15" model so the 17" will actually have better battery life even though it consumes more power because of the display.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
kasei said:
Thanks for all of the advice. I have decided to go for broke and buy a 17" Powerbook this week. I know some of you said it is huge and hard to carry, but after looking at the specs and testing both models and considering I will need to hang onto this system for at least 2 years, I will need every bell and whistle I can get. It is very tempting to wait around for a G5 Powerbook, but I am sure a couple of revisions will be needed before that system is running smoothly. Unless Steve surprises us...

Thanks again...

Cheers

Good decision ! Because something like that you can only decide by yourself. You had a look on both machines and made your decision.

Have fun with it !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.