Torn Between a new MacBook and an old MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macandipodfan, Oct 21, 2010.

  1. macandipodfan macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2008
    #1
    I currently own a 2GHz Aluminum MacBook. It's been OK, but it doesn't run Final Cut Express that well, and it's a bit slow on graphics-heavy software.

    I've recently acquired a MacBook free from a rewards site, but I'm torn on whether or not to keep it.
    The model is MC516LL/A, and it has a 2.4GHz processor with 320M graphics.

    I'm thinking about selling it and buying a used MacBook Pro for around the same price. I was looking at the MB470LL/A model, which has a 2.4GHz processor and 9400M/9600M GT graphics.

    Which is the better option?
     
  2. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

    AppleMacFinder

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2009
    #2
    The best option is to Wait for Sandy Bridge MBP (Late Jan/Early Feb)
    It will be much better than the current version,
    and you can save up some money during the three months waiting time
     
  3. macandipodfan thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2008
    #3
    Unfortunately that's not really an option at this point. As a student, any extra money I get I'll need to save.
    I definitely need a 15", so I'd be looking at around $1500-1800 if I wait for that.
     
  4. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

    AppleMacFinder

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2009
    #4
    You can put your savings to the bank for an additional income (~10% per year)

    For example, if you'll put 1800$ for three months, you'll have an additional 50$
     
  5. macandipodfan thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2008
    #5
    True, but my point is that I need to save the extra money for other expenses, not a MacBook Pro.
    I wouldn't even be getting one if it weren't free.
     
  6. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

    AppleMacFinder

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2009
    #6
    Macs are good at retaining their value.
    So, I advice you to wait for next MBP to come out, and then sell MB, add some money and go MBP
    I hope that this Final Cut project is not very important.
    But you're making the decision, not me :p

    The choice is yours
     
  7. macandipodfan thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2008
    #7
    I may do that if I come across a lot of money.
    My main question is, between the two models I mentioned in the OP, which is faster?
    And what about the newest 13" MBP? How fast is it compared to the models I mentioned?
     
  8. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

    aznguyen316

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2008
    Location:
    Tampa, FL
    #8
    What do you want to do with it? Personally I think they're basically the same with the 9600m being a better card but for the resolution for games they're about the same. Both are about as fast, but if you want a bigger screen with slightly higher res the 15" will do that for you. But the 2.4C2D + 320m is no slouch as the 320m is an amazing integrated gfx option IMO. Plus you get better battery life than the older 15" dual graphics model. Both are Core2Duo so you're not missing out on the i5's.

    I say keep the 13" MBP since it's newer (brand new in your case) and basically performs as well as the MBP 15" without having to buy used. Personally only reason to go for the 15" 9400m/9600m IMO would be for the screen. I think the new 13MBP has everything else on par with the older MBP 15". Oh I just realized this was MB whitebook. So unless unibody is your thing too then that's another factor. But internally it's basically the same as my MBP minus SD card reader and no backlight.
     
  9. macandipodfan thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2008
    #9
    I just remembered that the whitebook I'm getting doesn't have Firewire. So that's definitely out of the equation, since I use Final Cut Express. My current AlumBook doesn't do too well with USB drives in FCE.

    So I got two options now:

    1. Sell the white MacBook for $900, sell my current MacBook for $500ish, and buy a used Unibody 15" 2.4GHz 2008 MacBook Pro for $900. I end up with $500 left over.

    or

    2. Sell the white MacBook for $900, sell my current MacBook for $500ish, and buy a refurbished Unibody 13" 2.4GHz current MacBook Pro for $1019. I end up with $381 left over.

    I'm leaning toward option 1, but I'm still not entirely sure. I do edit in FCE, but other than that, I don't do a whole lot of processor intensive stuff.
     
  10. Forgeron macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2008
    #10
    10%?

    :) I'm sorry, but 10% was hard to find even in the 1980s. Today you are lucky to find 1.5% which will yield him 9 dollars in 3 months.
     
  11. aeboi macrumors 65816

    aeboi

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2009
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #11
    I edit on FCE with my 13" 2.4 erday, works fine.

    what kind of bank gives you 10%? please direct me to this bank
     

Share This Page