Torn between buying new 6s+ or a used 6+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ahualoa, Sep 13, 2015.

1. ahualoa, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015

ahualoa macrumors newbie

I'm upgrading from a oneplus one because android gives me an overall poor user experience.

Also, I live in Canada, so a 6s+ 64gb will cost a hefty $1160 plus tax. Whereas a used 6+ might cost around $700 ish

With that being said, what do you guys think? Are the new features worth the extra 400-500? Will the old 6+ be outdated soon? I need some opinions on this

Update: bought 6+ initially, but then sold it again and got the 6s

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

How long do you plan to keep it for, and is the extra money going to be difficult for you to come up with?

3. ahualoa thread starter macrumors newbie

I wouldn't say difficult, but I'm a still a student so every dollar counts. And I've been switching phones every year, but that's because they were all android and i just wasn't too satisfied with them, not sure how it'll be with an iphone

4. thatpluslife macrumors regular

thatpluslife

If money is a concern then I would go with the 6. However if you can spend a little more I think it'll be worth it because the s models usually don't get "old" quick. The new features, camera, 3d touch, etc I believe will carry on to the 7s.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you're a student I'd say go with the used 6+, the prices are going to be quite low since the market is flooded with them because of the 6S, and if you're already buying used if you decide you really want a 6S+ then the price probably won't drop too much more soon so you could resell it and upgrade.. The new features are nice, but the 6+ is still a good phone and should last you until you want to get the 7 or 7S. I'm hoping to make mine last until the 7S and upgrade then.

6. Kaelbron macrumors member

I am in a similar situation as Ahualoa. I have a 5S that have too little space and I want so badly to have a bigger screen. You mean that the iPhone 6 + will do good still? It has only 1 Gb of ram then it will be hard to browse and use apps? I feel like I will like to have 7 and I will regret if I buy 6S + instead of saving so much money I can to the 7.

7. bugelrex macrumors regular

If every penny counts, consider the following:
    If Iphone 7 removes the home button to make the phone smaller/lighter, the resale of every iphone prior will crater to the floor.

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I've maybe noticed a tiny bit of lag since the iOS 9 update on my 6+ but it hasn't really effected usability so I wouldn't worry too much about it, it will still be fine for awhile, especially if you're planning on upgrading to the 7 next year.

9. brand macrumors 601

brand

No it won't.

10. CEmajr macrumors 601

Spec wise, the 6+ struggled with performance right out of the box. I wouldn't buy one unless you don't mind a level of lag, stutter, and app refreshing that's uncharacteristic of most Iphones. It's definitely not a phone that's built for the long term. I'd recommend either coughing up the money for the 6S+ or just get the regular 6.

11. Serickmetz macrumors 6502

Serickmetz

You're spending a decent amount of cash either route you take, might as well get the 6s+ and be future proof.

12. koulmj macrumors 6502

You could buy it in Rose gold if you go for the S+!

13. ahualoa thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I bought a 6+ a few days after I posted here, but after hearing all about the poor 6+ performance issues I decided to sell it and upgrade to a 6s. So far loving the upgrade but miss the 6+ battery

14. Serickmetz macrumors 6502

Serickmetz

How come you didn't get the plus size in the S version? Didn't like the big screen?

15. ahualoa thread starter macrumors newbie

Wanted to try the smaller version, the 6+ was a bit awkward to use when I needed to reach to the top. But man, the battery is noticably different. They said I have 14 days if I decide to change my mind, and I might

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

This has already been said, but the 6 plus struggled from day one. This will only get worse. I realize the difference in cost in. CAD is about $400, but the 6s plus is $400 better. I would even go with a 6s before I went with a 6 plus. Hell, I would go with a 6 before the 6 plus. The large screen is great but I was really unhappy about its performance (if that's not clear enough lol)

Edit: I should read better
    Lol. 6s. Good choice!

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have a 6 plus on iOS 9, what issues were you seeing OP?

18. ahualoa thread starter macrumors newbie

Didn't have any issue with it myself, but reading this forum made me worried that it's gonna get outdated soon, I mean, if it supposedly struggled since day one, how long would it last? Also the 6s actually feels a lot smoother, especially the fingerprint unlock

19. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I noticed that the 128gb 6+ was no longer available on the Apple website.

therefore, I grabbed one from my carrier ... yeah, I'm into saving a few hundred bucks :apple:

This phone will do me for a couple of years ... 1080 HD screen, battery and storage are my biggest needs.

The 6+ has all 3 for much less than the 6s+

20. Serickmetz macrumors 6502

Serickmetz

Gotcha. I'm going from the 6 to 6s plus and I'm looking forward to the better battery life.

21. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I've had a 6+ for a year, and based on my usage I never noticed any "slow performance" described by others.

I know what slow hardware feels like. I have an iPad mini (gen 1). The iPhone 6+, however, was NOT slow.

I purchased a 6+ mainly because I want a smaller phone. Certainly 6S is faster in some apps. But in most of the time, the Internet speed is the limit. For example, I still wait just as long for tapatalk to reload on my new phone.

If I were OP, I would definitely go for a used 6 or 6+. They will cost you around $700 now and you could still sell them for $400 in 2 years. Your 6S will only be worth another $100 in two years. Value wise, you are much better off getting a used phone.