Torn between choices...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Vdubguy18, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Vdubguy18 macrumors member

Well I am currently completely torn... I'm desperately wanting a new Apple. I currently have a IMac 20" early 2006. Problem with that is I feel the logic board is starting to go out. Locks up once you begin a few tasks also it is getting horizontal lines in the display. Considering fixing this however cost to performance it only makes sense to purchase an updated system.

I have had many PC laptops, however, it seems they always end up crashing or obtaining a virus. I seem to have the worst luck with them. So I have been set on the MBP for the longest time. Until now I played with it at the Apple store and well the size and weight have now turned me off as I absolutely love the portability on the MBA's ( looking at the 11).

I have still had a i5 quad core PC that my son primarily uses (it's in his room) which he games on. My wife and I essentially are just using the iPad 2 along with our iPhone 4's.

Do it's not a dire new to get one now but it is more of a want at this point. Due to the potential refresh coming up for both the MBA and iMac. I want to get each this year but I guess it's a matter of which I could deal with being the older model so to say. I'm extremely impressed with the SSD in the MBA which is an obvious boost to the line up. If I were to go with the iMac I would go with the low end i5.

My needs are just general use ie. web, email, photos, also to begin dabbling in photo/video editing. So I know either are perfect choices but I guess it is just one will not be a big refresh... The MBA I'm looking at is the mid grade 11".

Thank you in advance to everyone who provides an opinion or suggestion. I know these are redundant posts that you regulars see day in an day out. I have done a large amount of lurking here and hatching as much info as I possibly can! So once again thanks ahead of time.

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I think that the 13" MacBook Air would be good for you :)

3. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I have both the 11 and 13" 2011 models maxed out spec's.. I use them both everyday. I ordered both on release day with the intention of returning the one didn't like .... but I couldn't return either one!

I justified the purchase on the basis the 11" was for travel and situations where I wanted maximum mobility, and the 13", with the better battery life for around the house, home office and my work office. We have Mac Pro's, iMac's and MBP's in our offices as well.

The 11" is more 'fun' to use on the couch, grab and go, it's just so small you can't help but want to pick it up to send a quick email or do a little work.

That being said, the 13" is quite a bit better for getting work done, even surfing, viewing photo's etc. The extra screen size is a huge difference, especially if you're using it for a few or more hours at a time. It's less scrolling, easier to read fonts, (imo) and seems like it could easily be a full time machine / desktop replacement - keep in mind we have Mac Pro's for heavy lifting duties. But I never use the Mac Pro unless I have to do something that requires the power.

The 11" to seems more like a really cool, fun little computer that's a real pleasure to use ... but after a few hours and noticeably more scrolling I feel the 13" is far better.

If I'm working on the 11" and switch over the the 13" the larger screen seems almost liberating, relieving, I notice how much I missed seeing on the screen compared to the 11".

Going from the 13" to the 11" screen seems like a compromise, the 13 never feels that way. However, the 11" is still a machine I use often when sitting around on the couch, but the moment I start doing work or wanting to get things done it's the 13" all the way.

You can't go wrong with either one,

Hope that helps, post back what you end up buying and tell us how you like it!

4. Vdubguy18 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you so far for the input!! More is always welcome. As I enjoy hearing all of the scenarios that everyone prefers the 11" or 13". I'm starting to really consider the 13" now mostly reference the battery life. Although, there won't be many times when I'm without an outlet....

Planning a trip to the Apple story within the next few days to log some time on both the 11" and 13" to get a better feel on both. Still kind of considering a iMac 21.5 but I hate the fact of being tied down to a desk...

Thanks once again!!

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

That is a terrific informative, detailed post. To the OP: I have a MBA (13") and it is superb; wonderful for travelling as it is so portable; other plusses are the superb screen resolution and the terrific speed (thanks to the SSD).

Granted, I have been eyeing the 'ultimate' 11" with undisguised interest, but think that the above post gives the pros and cons of each very well. In essence, the 13" MBA gives you most of the advantages of the 11", with a better screen (important if you are working for a long time) and better battery power.

I wish to clear up one misconception which I have seen on a few threads: The MBA is not a 'toy' computer, nor is it simply for those 'executives travel and who [only do] email and do light surfing'. Admittedly, it is not for gamers, or for those who do 'heavy' video editing, but it is a fully functioning computer with a spec that would have been a dream only a few short years ago. I have Office on mine, and, as it is my only computer at the moment, it is worked hard writing reports and papers most days.

Cheers and good luck with it

6. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I have been using my 13" 2011 MBA as my only computer for a few months now, and it is working out great. I am going to buy an iMac as soon as the refresh drops, but thats just because I want it. The Air works brilliantly on its own. It is so nice to just grab and bring into university with me, and then have it sat on my desktop all evening. It works out great.
    I normally have word, powerpoint, safari, mail, iTunes and maybe a game running and it doesn't lag. Really happy with it.

7. Vdubguy18 thread starter macrumors member

Is this the base 13" that you have or upgraded? I'm thinking the i5 along with the 128 SSD will be exactly why I need. As I have an external drive as well as large flash drives to assist with the music, docs, ect... Also with cloud storage and Dropbox.

Now just have to make time for the Apple store to play with both the 11 and 13....