Torn between Core i7 13" and 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ramo, Feb 24, 2011.

1. ramo macrumors member

Im planning on ordering a new machine to replace a 5 year old Rev A macbook pro 15" 2.0ghz core duo. The thing Im debating is which machine to order, heres what I want

13" Core i7 2.7
    SSD 128 upgrade
    Cost: $1700 after tax

15" Quad Core 2.0
    Hi Res Gloss
    SSD 128
    Cost: $2100 roughly

I travel to asia 2 or 3 times per year, so the portability would be nice. This machine is mainly used for Web, Email, Office apps, photoshop. I keep my machines for a long time so I want something that will satisfy me for another 5 years. What would you go with?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd just look at both screen sizes and pick whichever one you like better. The 15" would probably be better for Photoshop with the bigger screen.

3. axu539 macrumors 6502a

If portability is really an issue, you'd probably be stuck with the 13". I personally bought an MBA to complement my MBP. However, if you can spare a little more money on an already expensive machine, I'd highly recommend the 15" high-end (2.2 GHz) since that has a MUCH better graphics card as well. Furthermore, I'd suggest against buying RAM or SSD from Apple, as Apple both overcharges for them, and provides lower quality SSDs. You can get much better SSDs very soon (OCZ Vertex 3, Intel X25-M G3, etc) once they start becoming available over the next couple months. Those SSDs will be driving the prices down, so not only will they be faster, but they will also be cheaper.

4. mashsensor macrumors member

the 15 outperforms without a doubt, the 13 offers portability. How often do you travel or need to take your laptop with you? I travel with it a lot, so i just got an i7 13 today because carrying a 15 is a HUGE hassle for me personally. But everyone has different requirements.

5. Davichi macrumors 6502

Don't be silly. 15 inch has way better GPU and quad core CPU.

It is hitting nearly 10000 geek bench scores. That's good enough to triumph the 27 inch imac and even challenge some of the old Mac Pro models.

6. ramo thread starter macrumors member

I will travel and take my laptop prolly 4 or 5 times this year. I currently bring my 15" it isnt bad but it is heavy, and can be bulky when its in my backpack.