Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joe8232

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2005
Hi all,

I'm really torn between the Dell P2715Q and the apple thunderbolt display for my Mac Pro. I'm currently using a 27" iMac (2011) in target display mode with my Mac Pro but am going to hand that down to a family member so I need to buy a display.

The thunderbolt display would essentially just be exactly the same as the iMac right, just with a smaller form factor? I'm perfectly happy with this setup but am just wondering if I should mix things up and go with the Dell 4k P2715Q. The addition of more USB 3 ports and it being slightly cheaper is nice but the lack of a built in iSight is a shame. Does anyone have any thoughts?

EDIT: I should have said, I do scientific work, so predominantly text editing, but also some photo work (on the side), no gaming.

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
The thunderbolt display will be the same as what you already have, but probably just use a bit less power because it doesn't have the extra iMac bits in it. the P2715Q is a 4K display, while it doesn't have the built-in isight camera, it does have a matte screen and can be plugged into any computer.

I have a similar issue with my Mac Pro, I'm using a Dell U2711 but I find the anti-glare coating a bit harsh when photo editing - I can't tell the difference between noise and the coating sometimes. My choices of screen are either the P2715Q, the UP2715K, or an extremely colour accurate display like the Eizo CG-277.

Right now my money is on the P2715Q as it's a bit of a steal price wise and I feel the 4K/5K monitor market is going to change a bit over the next couple of years so I don't want to spend over £1200 on a monitor that will be irrelevant in 18 months. In fact I've just convinced myself that's what I'm going to go for. 4K is great for text and this monitor is around 99% of the sRGB palette, and it has reasonable uniformity. The extra money for 5K isn't worth it right now, and I'm not going to spend £1400 on a colour accurate 1440p display. The 4K Eizo's haven't been released yet, but will be around £3700. Too much. Dell it is.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
The thunderbolt display will be the same as what you already have, but probably just use a bit less power because it doesn't have the extra iMac bits in it. the P2715Q is a 4K display, while it doesn't have the built-in isight camera, it does have a matte screen and can be plugged into any computer.

I have a similar issue with my Mac Pro, I'm using a Dell U2711 but I find the anti-glare coating a bit harsh when photo editing - I can't tell the difference between noise and the coating sometimes. My choices of screen are either the P2715Q, the UP2715K, or an extremely colour accurate display like the Eizo CG-277.

Right now my money is on the P2715Q as it's a bit of a steal price wise and I feel the 4K/5K monitor market is going to change a bit over the next couple of years so I don't want to spend over £1200 on a monitor that will be irrelevant in 18 months. In fact I've just convinced myself that's what I'm going to go for. 4K is great for text and this monitor is around 99% of the sRGB palette, and it has reasonable uniformity. The extra money for 5K isn't worth it right now, and I'm not going to spend £1400 on a colour accurate 1440p display. The 4K Eizo's haven't been released yet, but will be around £3700. Too much. Dell it is.
If you want colour accurate and 4k, have a look at the NEC EA275. Might be within your budget.

bokkow

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
The Netherlands
Ive got them both side by side, the P2715Q connected to my MP5.1 and the TBD connected to a MBA. I've had the TBD for almost 4 years now and I absolutely love the design, the connectivity and the ease of use BUT I honestly cant go back to that screen after using 4K at the same panel size in the P2715Q.

I recommend the Dell, no doubt. Get a Logitech C920 to compensate for the missing iSight ;)

mjfutures

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2014
As an owner of 3 Dell P2715Q's I would highly recommend going with that vs. the Apple Thunderbolt Display. The color/pop/imaging on the 4K will spoil your eyes. If you've never used a 4K or don't care much about graphics I'm sure a Thunderbolt will be great; but price wise it would seem absurd to pick that over the Dell.

joe8232

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2005
Thanks for all your help guys! I'll give it a bit more thought but the Dell is looking like the best choice!

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
I use my P2715Q at 3200x1800 resolution. It is by far the best monitor I've ever owned. Everything is sharp, bright, beautiful.

I also have a Logitech C920 webcam.

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
no display quality is as good as having brightness control and built-in audio and camera.
i run 3 27 apple cinema displays and will never get rid of them. Unless for 3 5k apple displays

Last edited:

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
Brightness control and built-in audio and camera outweigh display quality. Got it!
the old lg panel in the thunderbolt is no slouch. That to whatever current technology is to a non enthusiast or pro color guy is definitely shruggable.

This all assuming he doesn't pay retail for a thunderbolt display than it's not worth it. But paying second hand prices it is.

Last edited:

joe8232

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2005
the old lg panel in the thunderbolt is no slouch. That to whatever current technology is to a non enthusiast or pro color guy is definitely shruggable.

This all assuming he doesn't pay retail for a thunderbolt display than it's not worth it. But paying second hand prices it is.

The isight would be great (and the charger for my macbook), audio isn't an issue since I'm in an office so headphones will be used. It's true the LG panel is great, that's why I'm so hesitant on which to choose.

The extra resolution (if it's readable) on the Dell would be great though...

EDIT: It will be academic pricing but will have to be bought new, we can't buy second hand - institution rules.

mjfutures

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2014
I find it amusing someone would try and compare the Apple Panel to Dell's 4K display ... its' absolutely no match and if you saw each side by side you would immediately discard the Apple (Yes I love Apple too), but I am not going to let my business slide because Apple has no desire to upgrade their monitor. The Apple display is still $999? That is 2 4K 27"s .... WOW!!!

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
I find that the people who knock the P2715Q are the guys who haven't really used it.

I had a fairly heated debate on another sub-forum here on Mac Rumors about two days ago. One member was convinced that text would look "blurry" when not using native resolution. I don't know how to explain how sharp and crisp text looks in the resolution I use (3200x1800) other than to say that it's better than using native resolution on my old Dell Ultrasharp 30".

Last edited:
Reactions: AidenShaw

joe8232

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2005
I find that the people who knock the P2715Q are the guys who haven't really used it.

I had a fairly heated debate on another sub-forum here on Mac Rumors about two days ago. One member was convinced that text would look "blurry" when not using native resolution. I don't know how to explain how shark and crisp text looks in the resolution I use (3200x1800) other than to say that it's better than using native resolution on my old Dell Ultrasharp 30".

3200x1800 sounds great for a resolution, so since the text is readable then the Dell wins! I've never seen the Dell so I'm certainly not knocking it, just wanted to get peoples opinions/experiences.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
3200x1800 is what I'm personally comfortable with. I tried native resolution and while I could see everything, at times, I had to strain a little. Of course, each person's vision differs... I recommend that you try and stop by an Apple Store and mess around with a 5K iMac to see which resolution you are comfortable with, unless of course, there's a store local to you that has a P2715Q on display that you can try.

Edit: I wanted to add that I recommend unchecking "Use LCD font smoothing when available" in System Preferences/General to get sharper text.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.