Torn between the 2.26GHz/2GB and 2.53/4GB 13" MBP ):

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deanshu, Jun 10, 2009.

1. deanshu macrumors member

I will be replacing whatever MBP I get after 2 years no matter what. I already have a Windows desktop that I'm thinking of getting a new video card for (possibly 4850 HD).

Basically, I already have a 3 year old 15" Toshiba notebook, but it's getting increasingly cumbersome to carry around. I'd assume a 15" Macbook Pro would be similar, so I won't even consider it. I'll be using the new notebook for schoolwork, programming, photo editing, and possibly a little bit of light gaming (though I'd probably save the gaming for home with the desktop). I'm kind of curious how big of a difference 2.26GHz/2GB and 2.53GHz/4GB would make in the tasks that I do.

Couple of examples:
    Schoolwork - Typing up essays with Office for Mac 2008
    Photo Editing - editing 12 megapixel photographs from my D90
    Graphics - Designing logos in Illustrator or Photoshop CS4
    Light Gaming - CS:S, Unreal Tournament, and Team Fortress 2. I wouldn't mind turning down the graphics settings if necessary, since majority of gaming would be done in my desktop.

Any suggestions on which one to get? Will picking one over another make that large of a difference?

2. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

Get the cheap one. The difference is in the RAM and HD which are both user-serviceable at considerably less than Apple prices. The different in processor speed is negligible.

3. tekmoe macrumors 68000

I bought the 2.26ghz earlier today. It is plenty fast. Save your money and buy the 2.26. Upgrade the ram and hard drive later on when it becomes cheaper.

4. deanshu thread starter macrumors member

Has anyone posted quantitative testing yet? (3DMark Vantage, etc) If so, I would greatly appreciate a link :)

5. deanshu thread starter macrumors member

Still kind of undecided... would appreciate more input as I'd like to have the purchase wrapped up at least before the 20th. Thanks :)

6. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

just buy the 2.26. if you think it's necessary, upgrade the RAM yourself.

7. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

In Canada, the difference between the 2.26 and 2.53 is $375 after taxes.

Instead of buying the 2.53, I plan on buying a 2.26 and using it stock until 4GB of RAM is ~$60 and a 500GB HD is ~$100 (Canadian). Plus I'm buying AppleCare, which is about $150-$200 on ebay.

So I'll have a nice machine with a 3 year warranty, 500GB HD, 4GB of ram and 3 years of peace of mind for the same price or less than the 2.53

Unless you have the extra cash, it's a no brainer IMO

8. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

I'd buy the 2.26 Ghz, for sure. Especially if this is a sort of second computer, you don't need larger HD.
    Eventually, in the moment you'll feel the need, you can upgrade the RAM.
    I'd eventually put my eyes on a SSD instead of a HDD. It would be blazingly fast.

9. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

As others have mentioned the 2.26 is the best option. Drop in the extra RAM and a SSD later, (when your needs are higher and parts are cheaper), for a performance boost - that upgrade would amount to the feel of a new computer!;)