Torn between the New 13" Macbook Pro or the New 13" Air (Mid 2012 models)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by j.g.h.jr., Jun 20, 2012.

1. j.g.h.jr., Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012

j.g.h.jr. macrumors newbie

j.g.h.jr.

Which notebook do you think has more "life" in it? Which will be the more outdated machine sooner i.e. which one do you think Apple will stop supporting and allowing you to update to the most current OS? I'm going to get the base model of either and probably upgrade to the 8G of RAM since it's only $100 bucks more.

From my research thus far it seems to pan out like this:

Pro: More HD space, but slower hard drive. Screen isn't as nice. More powerful processor but I have read that performance is somehow equal to the Air (this is where I'm a little confused).

Air: Less HD space, but the SSD makes the machine open apps and such faster. Prettier screen. Equal performance even though the processor is not as powerful (again ?????). It's just cooler looking and perhaps Apple will be phasing out the base level Macbooks in favor of Airs in the future (just a guess).

I will mostly use the computer at home, but it's looking likely I'll be traveling for work soon. Even then the notebook probably won't leave my extended stay. I will mostly be using it for fun: web surfing, streaming movies to my xbox via Vuze (I usually delete movies/shows after 1 viewing), email, ect. I don't do any photo or movie editing but I may mess around with Garageband a bit. Any other words of wisdom on choosing between the two systems, or if for my needs you think I should go with something completely different, would be helpful as well :)

Thanks so much for your help! - James

2. whtrbt7 macrumors 65816

Go for the Air. It will be a better fit. The 13 inch MBP is only if you need a SuperDrive or if you want 2 HDDs. Other than that, the MBAs are faster and just do what you need it to do. BUY APPLECARE.