Torn between two ideas

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GrimmPenguin, May 9, 2008.

1. GrimmPenguin macrumors regular

In June, I plan to be getting a either a MacBook or MacBook Pro regardless of whether or not there's an update in the laptops. My reason for June is because that's when I'll have enough to afford one. However I'm torn between my decision on which one of the the following I want to get:

1) A brand new MacBook($1299 model) with a possible upgrade in the hard drive.
    2) A refurbished MacBook Pro of the equivalent price of the MacBook (with possible upgrades) on The Apple Store or Amazon.

At first I was setting my mind on just a MacBook, but the more I look at a MacBook Pro, I feel that I will be happier with it in the long run.

So I guess my questions are:
    -Would it be a good idea to get a refurb MBP over a new MB?
    -Are the MBP's more durable than the MB?
    -Would say a 2.2GHz MBP feel weaker than a new MB?
    -Is the MBP casing easy to dent?
    -How portable is a 15" MBP? For the most part this will remain on my desk connected to a external monitor, but I will travel with it more often during the summer. I just don't want to have to carry around a hunk. Is it about the same size as most 15" laptops in the market?

Thanks for any help!!!

2. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

MBP= very durable, very nice speakers, lighted keys, would not feel slow
    MB= white is easy to scratch, black shows oily prints, very easy to travel with, shade taller case profile(feels good in hand/under arm), I like the magnet closure on lid opposed to the metal latches of MBP, I like the softer keys. Don't like the glossy screen although I get a lot of ohs ahs & wows.

3. Xjett macrumors member

I have a Macbook Pro similar to the refurb you described and it's an amazing computer. Packed full of power, great build quality and really nice screen. The reason I would consider a MB is for portability. I lug my 15" MBP around constantly and it takes a toll on the shoulder. However if I am not mistaken the difference between the MB and the MBP 15" is only .4 pounds. So again, it basically comes down to what you are going to use it for.

Also I don't know how urgently you need this, but I hear that the MB is getting a redesign soon. If I were you and I could hold off on the purchase, I would wait until after WWDC.

4. GrimmPenguin thread starter macrumors regular

I've heard that the MacBooks might get a new redesign. The only way I would get one is if they made the design like the MBP's if they do redesign them I highly doubt they will do that though. Honestly, I like the whiteness of the MacBooks. I don't think they should change it. I definately won't be getting one if they change them to look more like the MacBook Air. I really like the MBP design because it has the relatively same appearance as the PowerBooks, which I adored!