Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

witchypoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2009
Central NJ
HI there -- I am looking for some advice.

My 9 year old "pixar" mac (as I call it - its the iMac with the screen that is on a bar) is finally not able to keep up with today's technology so I need to replace it.

I recently got laid off so cost is a HUGE factor and while it has been "suggested" that I get a PC...the thought of not using a Mac at home just freaks me out...

SO -- i am thinking about getting a new MacBook..just the plain white one BUT i wanted to hear if its worth the extra $200 to get the basic MacBook Pro or should I put that $200 towards the apple care or getting Microsoft (again, remember I am laid off and trying to spend my money wisely). I read all the buying guides on here and everything and to me they just seem so close...

So please share your thoughts as I am really stuck here... I would love to wait and get the 17 inch MB but, I fear my Pixar mac is not happy (its now even got its time wrong !)

Thanks so much !

TheShinyMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2009
Ok so, dont foget about hackintoshes, or just re install tiger onto your imac as that will make it run faster for awhile

witchypoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2009
Central NJ
Shine... I cant install tiger because my memory is so low and when I talked to a MacPerson at the store about upgrading it, they said it would be hard --
(I am currently running OS 10.3.9) so I am a few cats back.

witchypoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2009
Central NJ
and do you both mean the refurbished section on Apple's website? i didnt know they had one....

What about a refurbished sectioni on Best Buy's site? Are they ok as well?

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
I would (just me personally) keep my Best Buy purchases to a minimum on high dollar items. I have heard several stories of them selling used items (returned and re-packaged) as new... although that wouldn't affect your situation....

You would be better off buying through Apple. I just hate giving BB more business than they already get.

If you can afford the price difference, I would get the Pro. What are your primary uses? Remember, you have a whole year to get AppleCare. They are probably going to be upgrading the MB very soon..

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I personally wouldn't buy refurbished anywhere except the Apple Store (online), for warranty reasons. Anywhere else, it's hit-or-miss on the warranty, since they will usually provide it. With the Apple Store, you get Apple's same warranty as new, with the option of AppleCare.

I think I saw refurbished Unibody MacBook's (the models without FireWire) for $899, which is a great deal, and the white MacBooks have been on there regularly for $849. Anything cheaper than that, you'll be looking into older machines that Apple will sell refurb, and the warranty issues won't matter anyways.

jW

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I would (just me personally) keep my Best Buy purchases to a minimum on high dollar items. I have heard several stories of them selling used items (returned and re-packaged) as new... although that wouldn't affect your situation....

You would be better off buying through Apple. I just hate giving BB more business than they already get.

If you can afford the price difference, I would get the Pro. What are your primary uses? Remember, you have a whole year to get AppleCare. They are probably going to be upgrading the MB very soon..

I'll second this advice. For example--there's a refurb aluminum macbook in the Apple Store refurb section for $899--$100 cheaper than new whitebook, and while the processor is a touch slower (2.0 GB vs 2.13 GHz), you get better RAM (DDR3 vs. DDR2), better case (alum. unibody), and a better display (LED backlit vs. TFT). I've bought a handful of refurb devices (pair of iPod Touches, Apple TV, Mac Mini) and have been very happy with no issues.

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Scottsdale
If I were you, I'd buy a refurb base MBP from the apple refurb store and later buy apple care or upgrade the ram and hdd or buy an external display:)

good luck on your new purchase!

witchypoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2009
Central NJ
Cool -- thanks a lot guys for all your advice !!

My uses are pretty simple, internet, MS Office, a database that needs MSaccess to run, photos, iTunes....I dont game on it or anything -- but I do need to update a simple webpage and need it to run a powerpoint/slideshow of photos for display (that is why I need the mobile aspect)...

OK -- so what I am hearing is that I should get a MacBook Pro over the white macbook and if i can get it refurbed, I should because I will save some money...

and thanks for the reminder about the apple care and that I have up to a year to get it !

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Don't forget to check Craigslist in your area as well. I know some people are down on CL, but I've found some good deals there.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
If I was in your situation I would get a refurb macbook. While the pro is nicer the macbook will do all you want it to do, almost as well. The differences in performance are negligible.

witchypoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2009
Central NJ
If I was in your situation I would get a refurb macbook. While the pro is nicer the macbook will do all you want it to do, almost as well. The differences in performance are negligible.

really?? the two of them are not really that different as far as performance?

Here is the thing -- for my recent birthday -- people gave me Best Buy gift cards to use to put towards my purchase of my new computer (not knowing that the apple store has gift cards as well i guess) so I have about $175 in BB gift cards....but now after reading what some people posted here, Im worried about buying it there...(plus we have their credit card and they are offering 18 months same as cash which would really help me !)

So, now what should I do? Still buy refurb or take my chances with BB?

kate-willbury

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2009
i don't get it. why are people trying to suggest a macbook pro when you basically do nothing on your computer? ms access...photos..itunes...? why would anyone need a MBP for this?

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Boot Camp??? Ryan - can you tell me about this?
It's software included on Intel Macs that allows you to run Windows as another boot option when you turn on your Mac. Because Windows runs natively on an Intel processor, you can have your Mac effectively acting as a PC as well as running OS X. There's a setup assistant included in the utilities folder that will give you instructions as to how to set it up. Very handy, and will mean you can install Windows to be able to run Access. :)

witchypoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2009
Central NJ
It's software included on Intel Macs that allows you to run Windows as another boot option when you turn on your Mac. Because Windows runs natively on an Intel processor, you can have your Mac effectively acting as a PC as well as running OS X. There's a setup assistant included in the utilities folder that will give you instructions as to how to set it up. Very handy, and will mean you can install Windows to be able to run Access. :)

Cool ! Thanks !

So if i got a new mac, would it be on there as well or would I still need Boot camp?

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
If you have BB gift cards, than just use those and buy new. Then buy AppleCare down the road. I mean that $175 would come out of your pocket if you bought from the Apple Store. I think Best Buy will match the student discount, but I am not sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.