Torn between which to get!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrob44, Feb 7, 2009.

1. mrob44 macrumors member

Hi all,

I've currently got a Black Macbook, 2.Ghz Dual core, 1GB RAM.

Its tax refund time and I'm looking to upgrade. I'm having a hard time deciding though, these are some of my options I'm considering.

1. Keep my Macbook and add a desktop companion in the 24inch iMac 3.06Ghz model. I know there is probably going to be an update to the iMacs soon, but I dont know how substantial it will be, aside from quad-core.

2. Replace the Macbook with another Macbook, 2.4Ghz, up the RAM to 4GB.

3. Replace the Macbook with the Macbook Pro, 15inch, 2.53Ghz, 4GB RAM. I do very little video editing, or game playing for that matter, but I like the possibility with the extra boost in graphics on the Macbook Pro, along with a slightly larger screen.

I love the iMacs, but I love portability, and hate to think that all the power is stuck on my desk. Not that I'll be needed a lot of horsepower sitting in a bookstore somewhere, but still, its in the back of my mind.

Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

2. Whiteman007 macrumors member

You could also do #2 then buy a ACD that would be about as much as getting the MBP.

3. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

4. Mjmar macrumors 65816

If you don't need anymore power then what's the point of getting a new mac? But if you find the black MacBook to be running a little bit slow then I say replace it with a new aluminum MacBook.

5. mrob44 thread starter macrumors member

I didnt say I wouldn't use the power ever, just not sitting in a bookstore, :) Checking my email.

Thanks for the input.

6. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Well if you want more power, the MacBook Pro is the most ideal one to go with. But the new MacBooks are much more powerful than your current one (graphics wise at least). I know people who went for the MacBook Pro even though they liked the MacBook size because of the graphics, but now most of them wish they could get the new MacBook, as the graphics is good enough for almost everything except for hardcore gaming (I mean it can run CRYSIS on low! Now that's something for a 13" thats less than 1 inch thick! (more like thin now :p)).

7. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

If you've got the cash the Alu MB 2.4GHz with 4GB and an ACD is an extremely nice solution -- I have it myself. I find it's way powerful enough for the desktop (with a killer screen) and extremely portable. Best of all, no need to maintain two machines. It's definitely pricey but you can probably sell your Blackbook for something and let taxes [rebate] cover the rest.

8. CSilver macrumors 6502

I would definitely keep the Macbook and get an iMac ;) but not any soon... Any updates coming up?:confused:

9. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

something you might want to think, and people on this forum told me when i made my purchase...

do you NEED to have two different machines. being able to say companion is great, but do you want to end up having to sync information back and forth from desktop to laptop? me? i didnt want to. as trivial of a task as it would have been...i just opt'd for the mbp.

10. mrob44 thread starter macrumors member

You make a good point. I really don't want to have to sync data back and forth. That would probably get old really fast. Plus I'm using a Dell 24inch Monitor with my existing MacBook and its great, so screen size really isnt an issue. Its just temping because of the added power and HD size on the iMac for cheaper.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The only extra power you get from the MBP would be video power, and the difference isn't that great unless you play demanding games. The new MacBook is a decent gaming machine, actually.

Read THIS review at Anandtech. It's VERY thorough, with a nice comparison between new and old MacBooks and MBPs. :)

12. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

Id go with the iMac. It is nice to have a home computer, and be able to travel too.

13. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Not an option you posted, but I would max the ram in my Blackbook, maybe upgrade the hard drive to 7200rpm, and then maybe use the rest of my money to pay off debts. The remainder of that I would invest for a new mac in a year.

Seriously, you won't see much of a difference unless you get a iMac or a MBP and intend to use the GPU. Besides, with quad-cores in the very near future, you'd probably feel much better about your purchase knowing the technology you purchased is brand spanking new.