iPhone XR Torn between XR and XS

bthompson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2009
Hi everyone. Last weekend I upgraded from my iPhone 6 to a 128 GB XR. It’s a totally different phone and really great. I just can’t get used to the size and weight. Wife has a X and I love the size and weight. I keep thinking I will get used to the XR but it’s hard for me to hold honestly. I picked up my 6 last night and it just feels perfect. I liked the XR because of the price, but now I’m torn. I can afford the XS, Im considering taking the XR back. Anyone face this issue? I’m also tempted just to keep the 6 for a while. Any advice would be appreciated.

areyes163

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
I had the XR. Great device. But my wife took it from me so I got a XS to have something different. I’m glad I did. I like the size better honestly. Feels good in the hand. I don’t miss the XR except the battery life.

Reactions: ATC

mritech

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
The XR is less than 5mm in the width bigger and 7mm higher I can’t see how that is an issue.

An XR without a case is smaller than an X (same size as an XS) with a catalyst case on it. So I ordered a lifeproof fre for the XR before I get an XR.

I can’t see how a 5 and 7mm difference makes a big deal

mritech

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
Get the X instead. They are still out there.
Also as I said in another post the X if you get it now you will be stuck in a 24 month agreement.

Only the 3 newest models will let you upgrade after 12 months.

I didn’t know this and I’m giving my wife the X that I have. She isn’t a super user like I am.

I looked at the X vs the 8 with an identical photo on each and I can’t tell much difference with the OLED display so I think the XR will do just fine for me

StaceyMJ86

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Also as I said in another post the X if you get it now you will be stuck in a 24 month agreement.

Only the 3 newest models will let you upgrade after 12 months.

I didn’t know this and I’m giving my wife the X that I have. She isn’t a super user like I am.

I looked at the X vs the 8 with an identical photo on each and I can’t tell much difference with the OLED display so I think the XR will do just fine for me
I believe that you can upgrade your XS/XS Max/XR once you pay 50% of the device off.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
That’s what he’s saying. But if you upgrade to last years model, you need to pay 100% to be upgrade eligible. At least on Verizon anyway.
It’s different on every carrier. T-Mobile introduced 36 month EIP’s recently, where you can still upgrade as long as you pay 50% of the device off. In order for me to upgrade in 2020, I’ll put down 50% of the device in September 2019 and make payments until it’s paid off, UNLESS I don’t plan to upgrade where I’ll just put down whatever down payment T-Mobile is asking for.

Alex.jr

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2018
I got the small XS. Gave to the wife and went with the XR.

Couldn’t stand the battery life.

Both are great. Depends on what your priorities are. For me, XR is the deal.

Could not be more satisfied with it.

mcmanus7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
I got the small XS. Gave to the wife and went with the XR.

Couldn’t stand the battery life.

Both are great. Depends on what your priorities are. For me, XR is the deal.

Could not be more satisfied with it.
What issue did you have with the battery life of the XS? My wife has a Xr, I have a XS and I can't say we've noticed a massive difference between the two.

FredGalaxy

Suspended
Nov 13, 2018
If you care enough about the Emma lead the screen I would get the XS max. Do not waste your time on the smaller version, certainly if you can live with paying $500 less for lower screen specifications

Alex.jr

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2018
What issue did you have with the battery life of the XS? My wife has a Xr, I have a XS and I can't say we've noticed a massive difference between the two.
Not an actual issue I’d say as the battery was performing normally.

It’s just that battery life on small XS is not even close to the XR.

I’m getting around 4h SOT on the XR per around 25% of battery used only. Saturday I had 5:26 min with 37% battery used only.

On the Xs, 4h SOT would eat up around 50% or 60%, sometimes even more.

Same settings, same usage. Gave it to the wife and she is getting the same battery life, actually a little less SOT than I did.

Don’t get me wrong, Xs battery isn’t horrible. But it’s not what I expected. I really thought that it would last longer being and S upgrade.

XS is a great device, really top notch. But for batt life, I was looking for something really different from my previous “small” iPhones, and sadly, it didn’t blew me away.

On top of that, Wider portrait, bigger screen, LCD for my eyes and fun colors. Case closed for me.

Both are wonderful devices. There is no right or wrong. The choice depends on what your priorities are on a phone.

For me, XR all the way.

LeeW

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
he XR is less than 5mm in the width bigger and 7mm higher I can’t see how that is an issue.
I hear what you're saying but maybe it's more than just the size, balance perhaps. I tried out the Xr in store and all I could say was that it was too big. The Xs just felt better in the hand that is why I went for it.

bthompson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2009
I hear what you're saying but maybe it's more than just the size, balance perhaps. I tried out the Xr in store and all I could say was that it was too big. The Xs just felt better in the hand that is why I went for it.
Agreed. its very unbalanced compared to the X and XS. Not sure if that is worth 250 bucks more.

mritech

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
I agree with the people who don’t hate on the XR for the same reasons.

I had an XS and it went back for the antenna issues which I was afraid will not be resolved with a software update and prolly won’t be squared away for several months by then I’m halfway thru the year.

But the high res and the antenna always stressing out the phone makes the battery life suffer. I couldn’t stand it the 10 days I had it I went to the X and the battery has never been a complaint. Point proven that was the issue, if you ask me.

The one and ONLY thing I missed was the faster Face ID and the A12 chip. Damn that XS was fast. Press the app and if you blinked the app was already open and the second gen Face ID too. I was disappointed on the speed of the X Face ID when I “downgraded”

I usually buy my phones online cause I mostly pre-order but when I my case comes I’ll go to a Verizon store directly

cub4bearin

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2009
I had the XR for couple days and after getting two cases for it from spigen and ringke (both clear to show of the color)... the phone was sooo freaking big and I hated it. The only way I would stay with XR, if I wouldn't use a case at all OR something very thin (Caudable perhaps)...
Then I got XS and I have it now and I love it.... well, almost all of it BUT the price (went with 256 gb) and the battery :(
I have time till January to return it (bought for a full price from apple store).
Yesterday I took with me for a long trip and only once it dropped to 4G and I had to manually toggle airplane mode to have it go back to LTE.
Speeds seems to be slow comparing to my 6S, but I am tired doing test swapping the SIM card between and setting the same servers etc...

I see the stuttering part from some other subject on here, but it doesn't bother me at all... some people are just way too anal about things.

Lastly, I love the 2x optical zoom.. yesterday it was very usable on my trip and EVEN if I will decide go back to XR, this probably would be a huge missing part with the phone. For the non human objects I can use Halide app and it works just fine (tested on the previous XR).

So right now I am down to awaiting CAUDABE case for the XR and trying it on for the smaller size.

Last edited:

Act3

macrumors 68000
Sep 26, 2014
USA
The XR is less than 5mm in the width bigger and 7mm higher I can’t see how that is an issue.

An XR without a case is smaller than an X (same size as an XS) with a catalyst case on it. So I ordered a lifeproof fre for the XR before I get an XR.

I can’t see how a 5 and 7mm difference makes a big deal

is 0.6 ounces really that noticeable? OP didn't like the weight of the Xr.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Hi everyone. Last weekend I upgraded from my iPhone 6 to a 128 GB XR. It’s a totally different phone and really great. I just can’t get used to the size and weight. Wife has a X and I love the size and weight. I keep thinking I will get used to the XR but it’s hard for me to hold honestly. I picked up my 6 last night and it just feels perfect. I liked the XR because of the price, but now I’m torn. I can afford the XS, Im considering taking the XR back. Anyone face this issue? I’m also tempted just to keep the 6 for a while. Any advice would be appreciated.
If you have no issues with the price difference I'd say get the XS, you won't regret it and it's a huge upgrade over your 6. I had the XR for almost 14 days, and got the XS to use the two side by side for 5 days; huge difference IMO in one-handed usability (which is important to me personally); the difference was especially noticeable once you put a case on them (which is highly recommended). The XS is great in the hand and holding it and operating it one-handed securely was easy, not so with the XR and I'm 6'4" with sizeable hands.

Mojopin

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2011
having had the X then trying an XR it was close, I loved the slightly bigger screen and better battery. But I am too much of a screen snob for OLED and found the XR was just a tad too bulky after a glass protector and case was added. The X still has that perfect form factor for me personally.

The XR is a great phone but once I got used to those inky blacks of OLED it's very hard to go back to anything other than that. I tested them side-by-side with apps and videos, etc. I found the XR held up very well to the X but once I ran this video in the dark, the X's contrast blew the XR away:

Now in everyday situations you won't notice the lighter blacks that much on the XR so again it's a great phone but def harder to step down from OLED for me, i couldn't do it.

Act3

macrumors 68000
Sep 26, 2014
USA
having had the X then trying an XR it was close, I loved the slightly bigger screen and better battery. But I am too much of a screen snob for OLED and found the XR was just a tad too bulky after a glass protector and case was added. The X still has that perfect form factor for me personally.

The XR is a great phone but once I got used to those inky blacks of OLED it's very hard to go back to anything other than that. I tested them side-by-side with apps and videos, etc. I found the XR held up very well to the X but once I ran this video in the dark, the X's contrast blew the XR away:

Now in everyday situations you won't notice the lighter blacks that much on the XR so again it's a great phone but def harder to step down from OLED for me, i couldn't do it.
Sure OLED is nicer, but I'd be stepping down everytime I use my desktop computer at home, at work. Or watching TV in my house or just about any public place that has a television. Or using my iPad Pro. LCD is everywhere, why tease myself on such a small screen with OLED. I'll put that money saved towards a new TV when the OLED prices ever come down. Just my opinion, I'm perfectly fine with the industry leading LCD that Apple offers.

calexandre

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2008
You're not alone. I'm upgrading from a 7 because dual sim will be a game-changer for me. I spent the past couple weeks trying to get used to the XR size, repeatedly trying it in store for 20-30 mins at a time. I really wanted to get the XR because I don't need the telephoto or the OLED. The nail in the coffin today was asking a salesperson in the store to let me try the phone with a case on it. With the extra bulk of the case, the XR went from just unwieldy to causing my hand to cramp. Came home with the XS. It better impress the hell out of me!

Mojopin

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2011
Sure OLED is nicer, but I'd be stepping down everytime I use my desktop computer at home, at work. Or watching TV in my house or just about any public place that has a television. Or using my iPad Pro. LCD is everywhere, why tease myself on such a small screen with OLED. I'll put that money saved towards a new TV when the OLED prices ever come down. Just my opinion, I'm perfectly fine with the industry leading LCD that Apple offers.
I'm in the future I have two OLED tv's and I couldn't go back to old tech for a phone I use all day, don't get me wrong their super liquid etc etc is nice but the contrast isn't there with LCD. You should take a look at OLED tv's they are much cheaper than you'd imagine, a 55" can easily be had at 1000-1200 nowadays, 65" is falling to $1700 as well.

cub4bearin

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2009
You're not alone. I'm upgrading from a 7 because dual sim will be a game-changer for me. I spent the past couple weeks trying to get used to the XR size, repeatedly trying it in store for 20-30 mins at a time. I really wanted to get the XR because I don't need the telephoto or the OLED. The nail in the coffin today was asking a salesperson in the store to let me try the phone with a case on it. With the extra bulk of the case, the XR went from just unwieldy to causing my hand to cramp. Came home with the XS. It better impress the hell out of me!
Not sure what case were you trying..... I’m awaiting Caudabe sheath case for XR and will try it on to see the difference. I love that case on my 6s because it didn’t add almost anything bulky to my 6s, yet offered protection.

Now, I’m typing it from XS (which I love so far). Even with bulkier case, this phone is capable to be hold in one hand without any issues (case or not).

My biggest concerns about XS right now are:
- LTE signal (had one moment where I had to toggle manually airplane mode to get back to LTE from 4G)
- battery life - when I had XR this thing lasted for a long time. XS isn’t that great in this field.
- I would hate to loose optical zoom, which I found very usable yesterday on XS.