Torn: Camera or Camcorder?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by AFABS, Feb 13, 2009.

1. AFABS macrumors regular

AFABS

So heres the deal. I've saved up just about enough money for a new DSLR or a HD Camcorder. I will eventually be getting both, it's just a matter of time. However I'm completely torn on which to get first. I love filming and taking photos, so that's really not an issue. I'm leaning toward a DSLR first (Canon Rebel XSI or something similar) due to the fact that I think the technology is progressing more in the camcorder field and that I might be better off waiting on the camcorder. Does that make sense to anyone else? I need some opinions. :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

I would have to say its the opposite. Consumer Camcorders have made leaps and bounds in technology and pricing last year. Canon DSLRs have not really made a significant jump since its 20D, IMO.

Ive owned 3 DSLRs and one HD camcorder. Video is a new passion for me. Getting a camera first seems the most logical progression, but consider getting a camcorder. Theres a whole new level of creativity with filming video as opposed to still pictures.

3. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

You look at the Canon 5D Mark II.

Kill two birds with one stone.

But it's pricey.

4. AFABS thread starter macrumors regular

AFABS

I would definitely agree there are greater creative boundaries with video as opposed to stills.

I haven't really looked at the Mark II...I think I'm pretty set on getting the two separate things. On a set budget as well.

I think what's kinda got me all jumbled up is that I feel more comfortable with photography, even though my desire is to get more into videography. However the technical aspect of the doing video (importing,exporting,storing,compressing,formats,etc. etc.) has me a little worried.

5. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Well the XSI is a nice still camera for the price.

I like the XSI but I wish it used Compact Flash like all the other Canon Cameras. You might want to look at the model before it (the Xti) they are allot cheaper now and have about the same image quality.

I think the 5D Mark II shoots better looking footage than most prosumer HD cameras but thats mostly due to the use of 35mm lens. I think it would be pain to use as your main video camera though.