Torn: i7 MBP or i7 iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by scrambledwonder, Jun 16, 2010.

1. scrambledwonder macrumors 6502

I currently have a trusty 15-inch Santa Rosa MBP (2.4 GHz), but I've been lusting after a unibody MBP. I was all set on getting the i7 15-inch MBP with the high-resolution, anti-glare screen . . . then I went to my brother-in-law's house and futzed around on his 27-inch iMac i7. Oh my. What a machine. I priced the two computers out. The 15-inch MBP i7 with the options I want would cost around $2,400. So would the top-of-the-line iMac. But the iMac has that epic screen. And four cores.

I've been a laptop warrior for about a decade now, and I swore I'd never go back to a desktop machine. I like taking my work with me—I often work in coffee shops or cafes. Most of my work requires little computing power: I mostly write. But I'm also a photographer and I'm getting into HD video production. So more powah is good. I know the i7 MBP goes like stink, but the i7 iMac goes like stink squared.

Anyway, now I'm torn between the two machines. I absolutely love the feel of the new unibody MBPs. But the iMac is just so glorious.

I know it's like comparing apples and oranges, but hey.

Just thought I'd throw it out there for discussion.

2. Migra macrumors newbie

Unless you need portability, go iMac! i7 on MBP = Two Cores, i7 on iMac = Four Cores.... guess what's better? :)

3. scrambledwonder thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, it's way crazy faster. I guess I can just get a 13-inch MBP in addition to the iMac. You know, for working in coffee shops. heh

Man, I'd better start saving money.

4. Yinmay macrumors regular

I'm facing the same dilemma. I wouldn't be hesitating had the iMac not been so overpriced for the components you currently get. I think I'll take my chances and wait for the refresh. Like you I already have a reliable -although not blazingly powerful- computer so I guess I can be patient.

5. Christina1971 macrumors regular

Aw, you know you should just get the MBP. You've given great reasons why you would be happy with the portability, and you can always go over to your BIL's house and fondle his iMac if he'll let you and you're feeling the urge. ;)

The iMac is hella fast, but for the things you will be doing on a day-to-day basis -- be honest now -- the MBP you're considering buying will be great. Don't you think? I know you're talking about HD video production, but I assume that's not going to be a new job of yours, or this would be a different discussion

With the MBP you can continue being a laptop warrior, working in coffee shops and all that, and still have a damn fine computer.

I understand the love. That screen is great. But don't try to change yourself to fit the machine. Get the machine that matches you and your needs.

6. EricTheRed71 macrumors member

err, is the answer not obvious?

Get the imac for your more demanding work & keep your current MBP for working in coffee shops etc.

Too easy?

7. brianfast macrumors regular

8. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

No not really. OP MBP has 2 core 4 threads while the iMac has 4 cores 8 threads. You said your going to do Hd video work. That doesnt require a really fast cpu. Either Get a 17in Mbp or get a 15in with a 24in led display if you really want screen space. You will regret it if you get an imac because you wont be able to carry it around

9. nxent macrumors 6502

agreed. or trade the mbp santa rosa for a 13" unibody.