Torn in two by two MacBooks

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dominordelingua, Oct 14, 2008.

1. dominordelingua macrumors member

After this latest update, I'm really struggling to decide now, more than I was before. I really love the new revisions to the MB and its everything I would probably use and need and more... but the price even with the student discount ($1249) is really spreading what money I have left, very thin!

Now, I'm tempted to buy the older MB ($949). But I don't want to deal with the plastic (cracking armrest etc) now that i've seen the aluminum and the strength the new construction will have. I have the money either one, it all comes down to if I want to spend the extra $300 for the new one.

Reasons to buy New MB:
    *Aluminum/stronger design
    *increased specs
    *feels good to have the new one (I admit it...I lack humility :D)
    *Multi-touch Glass Trackpad
    *its sexy

Reasons to buy Old MB:
    *more affordable
    *sufficient for schoolwork
    *It's not windows ;)

Can you convince me one way or the other? I'm just real undecided today...I'll probably have my mind made up by the weekend (when I'm buying the notebook)

Thanks!

2. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

I think really all of this comes down to the cash.

and specs you really need. If you really do need to specs, or maybe the bigger screen or what not then go for the dearer.

But if you really really dont need too and the cheaper option suits you

Go for the cheaper, i'm actually wondering weather to hit the refurbished store or buy a old macbook pro from my reseller tomorrow before the old ones go!

Not really sure myself.

Good luck

ML

3. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I'd go for the newer one and work overtime for a couple of weeks. No, seriously. If the old one is going to do you, and you can survive without having the newest of the new, go for the older one. It's still a solid machine.

4. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Buy the new one, you'll regret it eventually if you don't. White plastic is cheap looking anyway.

5. krye macrumors 68000

krye

I would do everything within my power to afford the new one. Even if it meant eating rice cakes and oatmeal for a month. All Aluminum, new multi-touch trackpad, Nvidia graphics. It's a no brainer. Even if you have to eBay some stuff. I would really really try and come up with the extra $300. It's sooo worth it.

Don't settle for the plastic one. You'll regret it. For that you can get a used one on eBay for $800.

6. dominordelingua thread starter macrumors member

This will be my first mac, so having the special new one to me would be nice (but then again...so is my money!;)...I'm still thinking about it)

How long do you all think my new macbook would last me? 1-2 years, 3-4? 5+?

btw, won't having a glass trackpad/screen uber increase the chance of cracking it? I hope those things are sturdy

7. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

If you're worried about the new model's potential malaise's then wait for a while longer and read some of the things people who already have one say about it, though I suppose some issues will only become evident after some time.

If it's your first mac ever I'm tempted to say go with the new one.

From my and people's past experiences with macs I'd say it'll do you a good couple of years. There's people who've had their macs for a decade now and they're still running strong...