Torn Macbook or Macbook Air...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bmstrong, Feb 19, 2009.

1. bmstrong macrumors 6502

I'm torn between an early March purchase of a Macbook or Macbook Air. Why did you choose one over the other?

2. iaymnu macrumors 6502

I was in the same position but I chose the Macbook just because it can do much more. I use CS4 FCP LR and some VMs and it works wonderfully. Times when I feel like playing games (WoW, DOTA) i don't have to worry if it will work. It is still very portable and light.

But it all depends on what your needs are. ..............

3. dborja macrumors 6502a

It depends on your needs. In my case, I needed a supplement for my iMac as I move about the house and travel so I could browse the Web, do my email, some light document work and development on XCode. I needed portability over horsepower so the MBA is perfect for me. Then there's bonuses like a great looking screen and a backlit keyboard. And it does run Windoze fine within VMFusion and VirtualBox for the few times that I needed to run apps that haven't yet been migrated to Mac OS X.

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

it really depends on your wants and needs. i say both wants and needs, b/c if you don't consider both, you won't be totally happy. if they both cover your needs, then it's to your wants.

do you want a little more power? or a little more portability?

will you be adding a bigger hard drive or ram? if not, then go with the Air. if so, then get the macbook

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

It seems to be a power versus portability question; both are stunning machines but have different strengths. If you want value for money, power, performance, and good looks, go for the new unibody MB. If money is an issue, opt for the previous model MB, which offers excellent value. If portability - and stunning design - are your main need/preference, choose the Air.

Cheers and good luck

6. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

I really wanted the MBA -- REALLY wanted it and ended up with the Alu 2.4GHz. I travel a lot and the 3 lbs really looked great.

What stopped me ultimately from getting it:
    - I was worried about the performance
    - I have some need to run VMWare and Windows
    - I had read a lot about the RevA having problems and I didn't know if RevB was really that much more
    - Slower smaller drive
    - Limited to 2 gigs of ram
    - Older style trackpad (the new one really is great)
    - Ethernet port - I don't often need one but sometimes I do and it would be another dongle to carry around

The 4.5 lbs is 50% more but not that much heavier in actual terms. All-in-all I'm pretty happy with it. If a RevC comes out with a better HD (performance and capacity) and 4GB RAM I might swap though for the lighter weight.

I'm sure you will be happy with whichever one you decide upon...