Torn on buying now or waiting...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by teasphere, Jan 1, 2011.

  1. teasphere macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 19, 2008
    #1
    I am in the market for two MBP 13" notebooks and I'm completely torn on buying now or waiting for the next refresh. I know the refresh will be a step forward over the aged hardware in the current crop, but two things have me concerned. 1. That all of the new MBPs will have no optical drive. 2. That the new MBPs will move to SSDs with lower capacity.

    I know a lot of folks are OK without an optical drive but I need and use mine heavily. SSD is nice but I'd rather have the extra capacity and lower cost of a traditional HDD.

    My current thought is to wait until the new models are unveiled and then if they don't suit me try to scramble and buy new-old-stock of the current model someplace. I've been waiting for this refresh but as it nears I can't help but think it's going to be less of what I actually need.
     
  2. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #2
    If the current gen fulfills your needs and you need/want it now, then go ahead and pull the trigger.
     
  3. bigjobby macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2010
    Location:
    London, UK
    #3
    I can't see Apple pulling the optical drive and putting SSD as standard in the next release. It is still cheaper to have the optical drive fill this space than for example more battery or other funky things. Here in the UK the 13" retails for £999 and I can't see them trying to go above this psychological price point for a 13".

    Just my 2¢.
     
  4. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2010
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #4
    My guess is the wait will be approx 2 more months +/- 30 days. If you can wait, wait. If it is not what you want then you can always buy a discounted current version from places like Amazon, or buy a refurb MBP with same as new warranty.

    I was also concerned about Apple changing things in a way I don't prefer, like a 16:9 ratio instead of the more useful, IMO, 16:10. And I also want a optical drive. I seriously doubt the new ones will not have the optical drive or be SSD only. In any case I bought my current MBP in late Nov and no regrets at all as I figured it would be at least 3 more months of a wait. The longer you wait the more the practical it is to hold out. In Nov it was an easy decision to buy, in January is it hard and in February it will be brutally hard :(
     
  5. Kyffin macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2010
    #5
    @bigjobby ^ I think it'd be appalling if they did- some of the US posters are picking them up for that number of dollars (I don't know why were paying a premium for not being in the US but hey ho).
     
  6. bigjobby macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2010
    Location:
    London, UK
    #6
    From Big Macs, CDs to cars, this whole US-UK price comparison thing has been going on for decades even when the exchange rates had strongly favoured the UK. I try to ignore these comparisons sometimes but I hear the prices in NZ are even more ludicrous! So one mustn't grumble too much I guess.

    To take the 13" above the £999 mark to protect margins would be total madness and I can really see alot of potential customers being turned away. I'm sure Apple are aware of this.
     
  7. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

    AdamRock

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2010
    Location:
    Toronto
    #7
    even if the new mbp were to have no optical or ssd you could still buy the previous gen refurbished or slightly used on like ebay or craigslist.
     
  8. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2010
    #8
    You seem fine with the current machine. Just buy it. I really really think the optical drive is fine. I'm willing to bet money on it.
     
  9. Kyffin macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2010
    #9
    Oh yes, back in the distant past when we had a strong pound I took full advantage by doing my shopping abroad- its a shame newegg and apple don't allow this but I'm certainly not complaining- there are people 'out East' who have a far rougher deal then we do, so much for the global economy eh!
     
  10. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #10
    Remember that the UK prices include VAT which is 17.5% in UK (will rise to 20% on Jan 4th). Base MBP is only 824£ without VAT, which translates to 1286$ and thus is only 87$ more than what it costs in the US. It's still more but not as much as you think. US prices include no taxes so it's delusive to compare them like that.
     
  11. Kyffin macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2010
    #11
    Yes, and in terms of what I've actually paid on things there can be a significant difference in pricing depending on local pricing factors (not just VAT/ private import arrangements;)). I've been looking at camera straps recently and the best price I've seen for a particular US made strap is from a shop in Portugal (40% difference to UK/US retail)- I do love Google translate!
     
  12. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2009
    #12
    By mid-February we should be seeing credible leaks for the MBP changes. Especially if the unibody is going to undergo a new design.
     
  13. Kyffin macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2010
  14. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

    smallnshort247

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2010
    #14
    I think you should wait. If the new models aren't what you're looking for, RUSH to your local Apple store A.S.A.P and see if they have any "End Of Life" Macs left. Pretty much thats when they take the current Macs and try to get rid of them as fast as possible to make room for the new models. This usually includes a nice price discount.
     
  15. applebook macrumors 6502a

    applebook

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2009
    #15
    I would wait. Spending over a grand for Core 2 Duo, full-sized laptop in 2011 is not my idea of good value.
     
  16. skiltrip macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 6, 2010
    Location:
    New York
    #16
    Wait. At this point we have about 2 months before concrete rumors start surfacing. This is assuming there's another update in April, which is what I expect.
     
  17. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

    jvmxtra

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2010
    #17
    Unless you need one right at this second, your last chance of buying mbp has passed. Should have jumped on blackfriday and xmas(unless you can find comparable price now).

    At this point, you should wait to give you best chance to compare.
     

Share This Page