Torn on screen protection...

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by FiremanMike, Jan 29, 2011.

1. FiremanMike macrumors regular

Like many nerds, I'm waiting up until 0300 on Wednesday to order my iPhone from verizon. I'm trying to get my case and possibly screen protection ready to go (already have my apps downloaded and iTunes organized).

Anyhow, when I got my droid, I immediately got the zagg shield and liked it a lot. I got used to the slight drag I noticed, but appreciated the times when I could see a gouge on the invisible shield (which oddly smoothed out every time after a few days) but nothing on my screen. About 3 months ago, the thing got snagged and came off. I immediately noticed how much smoother and more responsive the touch screen was, but I had every intention of getting a new one, but was lazy.

It's been 3 months now, and my screen has exactly 1 scratch on it, and it was caused by my wife putting it in her purse to bring it to me. I keep my phone in my pocket at all times, not a big belt clip guy, and my droid is in great shape. Even a friend with a droid commented on how clean mine was.

So, with the iphone having this "super-duper plastic" case, is the screen protection really necessary for someone who is apparently somewhat gentle with their phone?

I'm writing this to get opinions, please let loose.

2. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

All the phones I saw come through the stores I worked at (Apple) a minimal few had any scratches... its glass, not like the ipods (non touch) polycarbonite plastic... glass wont scratch easily... with a diamond it will... but not much else. I never bought a screen protector because they looked crappy after a few weeks. I never got a scratch on any of the phones I owned... I even used to get mine out and run my car keys over the face to show customers how tough they were to scratch.

3. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

There have been many pictures online of scratched iPhone glass like in Engadget and Gizmodo. Sand can indeed scratch glass.

Plus as stated in the manual the iPhone has an oleophobic coating that wears out during normal use.

4. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I didn't like Zagg at all, it's very "sticky", has a ripple like texture on it, and it's generally rough.

The best ones are interestingly enough the cheapest ones.

Go to ebay and find a screen protector with two stickers on it.

Like this one...

[​IMG]

You peel off one side, apply it and then peel the other. They are great, very smooth and slippery, don't need any water or anything to apply them, provide a very good protection, Zagg won't protect your iPhone's screen from cracking either and since they are cheap you can buy several and if you scratch one badly you can quickly replace it with another one.