Torn ribbon cable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gillilandboy, May 8, 2013.

1. gillilandboy macrumors 6502

I was trying to replace my hard drive and I tore the ribbon cable from where it splits. One part going to the LED pulsing sleep light and the other part going to the sata connector which connects to the hard drive. I am pretty sure it is just the ribbon cable I don't think the logic board is damaged in anyway because the sleep light is still working and sees an install disk when I boot. I have included some pictures for reference. Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

This is definitely a bit of a nightmare. Did you not read a guide beforehand?

Everyone I've ever seen says there's a cable laid underneath the hard drive and not to pull it up too much :p

Lucky for you a hard drive upgrade is allowed under warranty so they will understand this happening. Take it in and they can replace it easy. I'd say you can do it but you might cause more damage.

If you had of been doing something unsupported you could be out luck, but I think you'll be okay on this one. Not the first person to do this.

3. gillilandboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the tips guys. I took it to a local mac repair shop here in town. $50 bucks. Could have been a lot worse.

4. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

How old is it? Why not try the official Apple store and attempt to get it done for free?

If you're close enough to one it can't hurt. Like I said they let you upgrade the hard drive and mistakes happen, I've seen the geniuses replace much worse for much cheaper (free).