Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LAS.mac

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Mexico
Like I said. I'm holding my breath for Rev. D. If they are upgraded to a 226GB SSD and 4 GB of RAM, and hopefully (but not a real need) a faster processor, I'll go for the MBA. If not, a 13" MBP is in my future.

Don't forget some other importants points that must be addressed in rev D:
- the glass trackpad, which is present in the MBP line since a year ago
- those "defects" that plagued the MBA existence, such as the hinge problem, the screen lines, the tendency to overheat, and I'm sure I forget some
- the somewhat shorter battery life (although I understand that this is a complicate point, due to the size of large-capacity batteries)

I think those points are as important as the 4 Gb RAM. Personally I don't care of a larger SSD drive.
Oh, and maybe a couple of hundred buck less wouldn't hurt...:D

Slowstick

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
The bottom line is one who bashes the MBA based on the MBP being only 1.5 lbs heavier and only one inch thicker HAS NEVER USED AN MBA.

One has to truly use the MBA around the house, office, and traveling to understand just how big of an advantage the lightweight and thinness of the MBA is over an MBP.

I can understand people saying, "My MBP's only 50% heavier. That's only 1.5 lbs in a bag." But those people have never used an MBA in those conditions to understand just how big of an advantage it is.

Unless someone truly needs an MBP, the MBA is a far greater complete user experience in my opinion. I understand people seeing an MBA at the store and thinking the difference is minor. But when you get used to an MBA, it's really difficult to go back to a brick of a Mac like the MBP.

While the difference is only less than an inch in width and 1.5 lbs, it's huge in end user experience... night and day. I have had to move from an MBA to 13" uMB for a few months after my rev B MBA was stolen, and it was completely and totally the biggest disappointment I can ever recall when changing computers. The 13" MBP feels like a brick compared to the MBA. And one can fit the MBA into the narrowest of spaces in a tote. The differences are magnified far greater than anyone could realize until dealing with the transition from complete use of the MBA to 13" uMBP.

I really think that the average person who switches to the MBA with HDD will ultimately be disappointed. The differences in speed capabilities are dramatic versus a 13" MB/MBP. However, with the SSD the MBA becomes faster for normal tasks than the MBP with even a 7200 rpm HDD. This is not to say that ALL will be disappointed with MBA with HDD, because certainly some see the tradeoff as worthy for thin lightweight computing. My whole point is there is very little tradeoff to get the thin/lightweight experience when one goes with SSD in the MBA. For me, I recommend the average user should go with MBP if cannot afford the SSD MBA. For some using the MBA as a secondary computer may accept speed of HDD. For $300, and an added boost to CPU, the SSD is an absolute MUST for the MBA for anyone who wants to truly use it like a primary Mac or like a Mac in general.

At the same time, I recommend the MBP to those who truly need the extra capabilities, those who cannot afford the MBA with SSD, and those who don't know yet what they need (like the OP). And probably those who will be forced to use the same MBA for five years should consider the MBP for upgrade capabilities.

I see where you are coming from and I have used a MBA. I agree that it is "fun" to hold and to look at, but what I am saying is that it is not a reason to go MBA and not MBP. In the whole scheme of things, the Pro is better.

Rai Saix

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
I see where you are coming from and I have used a MBA. I agree that it is "fun" to hold and to look at, but what I am saying is that it is not a reason to go MBA and not MBP. In the whole scheme of things, the Pro is better.

For your needs.

Rai Saix

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Here we go again.

The fact that you might have to pack an optical drive and how the MBP is an inch thick might make the MBP a better portablity machine.

I will not be packing the SuperDrive. That would be stupidity. That's for software installs and the occasional movie.

Look, we're comparing apples and oranges here. I now realize that. These products are designed for two different breeds of consumers. I am right on the edge of both of these. My main concern is storage. So if the air gets 226 GB SSD, I'm sold. If not, it's most likely hello MBP!

Hands Sandon

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2008
I've changed my mind. If I was in Rai's shoes I would go out and buy a MBP as soon as I could. Yes it'll be heavier but not by that much. Portability matters but the MBP is only marginally less portable and it is true you'll never be without the superdrive. The MBP is also a bit tougher of a machine and an unexpected strong gust of wind is less likely to send it flying off of that cafe table. It will run cooler and you won't have to worry about blocking those vents on the underside of the Air watching YouTube or a DVD in bed. The 13" MBP screen is to some people preferable to the Air's; cleaner whites (less yellow and smooth as oposed to rough and grainy in the Air) and more vivid colors (especially beneficial watching movies or even high quality videos). The speaker is also better and I believe you can't as easily attach a microphone to an Air (though I'm not sure). Upgrades to look forward to would include your choice of bigger and faster SSD as the 2.5" drives arrive sooner and likewise should you want more than 4GB's RAM. Of course theirs the SD slot that may prove usefull and who knows even that extra USB, especially as the Air eats it up if you went wired to the internet (less likely to ever need a USB dongle on your travels too). If Apple writes the software to make the SD slots store 1TB of very fast SD, that'll be a usefull addition too.

The MBP will will offer you more for longer and it's still very sleek (has a gorgeous black bezel and I think superior trackpad) and lightweight. And firewire could prove especially useful wherever you are, at least you'll know that your machine can use it should the need arise.

I'm sure you already know all this but I think you might find you want more from your machine than you currently expect. At least I hope you do eventually.

Slowstick

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
I've changed my mind. If I was in Rai's shoes I would go out and buy a MBP as soon as I could. Yes it'll be heavier but not by that much. Portability matters but the MBP is only marginally less portable and it is true you'll never be without the superdrive. The MBP is also a bit tougher of a machine and an unexpected strong gust of wind is less likely to send it flying off of that cafe table. It will run cooler and you won't have to worry about blocking those vents on the underside of the Air watching YouTube or a DVD in bed. The 13" MBP screen is to some people preferable to the Air's; cleaner whites (less yellow) and more vivid colors (especially beneficial watching movies or even high quality videos). The speaker is also better and I believe you can't as easily attach a microphone to an Air (though I'm not sure). Upgrades to look forward to would include your choice of bigger and faster SSD as the 2.5" drives arrive sooner and likewise should you want more than 4GB's RAM. Of course theirs the SD slot that may prove usefull and who knows even that extra USB, especially as the Air eats it up if you went wired to the internet (less likely to ever need a USB dongle on your travels too). If Apple writes the software to make the SD slots store 1TB of very fast SD, that'll be a usefull addition too.

The MBP will will offer you more for longer and it's still very sleek (has a gorgeous black bezel and I think superior trackpad) and lightweight. And firewire could prove especially useful wherever you are, at least you'll know rently expect. At least I hope you do eventually.
I agree. In the end, I think you'll be going pro.:D

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
If you are even considering the MBP you don't fit the profile of a person that needs an Air. It is an expensive netbook. Need a netbook? If not, get the MBP.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
I think a MBP is a smarter purchase at this time, even though the Air is a great machine. The number 1 thing going for it is that it's cheaper. If you're hoping to upgrade every 1-2 years, you don't need to buy the top of the line as the computers are going to be improving greatly. Chances are pretty good that the future entry model will be faster than the current top of the line model. It's a smarter fiscal decision not to purchase the more expensive machine when it's likely that you'll see little benefit from it over it's lifetime.

Then again, it's your money, but you did come to us for advice.

Personally, I can justify the cost of the Air over the Pro, as I'll be keeping the computer for at least 4-5 years.

Now, to clarify a bit of Scottsdale's posting: The Air will feel like a Mac Pro (or faster) for general computing stuff because of the SSD and the fact that the UI isn't really dependent on CPU speed or installed RAM. It is dependent on the video card and the hard disk. The 9400M, while not great for 3D stuff, is more than enough for the 2D GUI, and the SSD is obviously faster than a traditional HDD. So that's why it feels so fast, and will continue to outperform machines of lesser spec (in one area or the other).

Having said that, I know Scottsdale isn't dumb enough to think that running some of the Pro Apps (Logic, FCS, and to some extent, Aperture, PS, LR, etc) will be faster on the Air simply because those apps rely on things that the Air isn't good at (Raw CPU speed and RAM).

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I think a MBP is a smarter purchase at this time, even though the Air is a great machine. The number 1 thing going for it is that it's cheaper. If you're hoping to upgrade every 1-2 years, you don't need to buy the top of the line as the computers are going to be improving greatly. Chances are pretty good that the future entry model will be faster than the current top of the line model. It's a smarter fiscal decision not to purchase the more expensive machine when it's likely that you'll see little benefit from it over it's lifetime.

Then again, it's your money, but you did come to us for advice.

Personally, I can justify the cost of the Air over the Pro, as I'll be keeping the computer for at least 4-5 years.

Now, to clarify a bit of Scottsdale's posting: The Air will feel like a Mac Pro (or faster) for general computing stuff because of the SSD and the fact that the UI isn't really dependent on CPU speed or installed RAM. It is dependent on the video card and the hard disk. The 9400M, while not great for 3D stuff, is more than enough for the 2D GUI, and the SSD is obviously faster than a traditional HDD. So that's why it feels so fast, and will continue to outperform machines of lesser spec (in one area or the other).

Having said that, I know Scottsdale isn't dumb enough to think that running some of the Pro Apps (Logic, FCS, and to some extent, Aperture, PS, LR, etc) will be faster on the Air simply because those apps rely on things that the Air isn't good at (Raw CPU speed and RAM).

You know, I always say the MBA feels as fast as a Mac Pro for STANDARD/COMMON TASKS. That means bootup, app opening, large files opened, shutdown and etc... I have used quite a few Mac Pros (more than MBAs), and I know what they feel like for the average user. I also GUARANTEE that a Mac Pro will be faster for intensive apps. I also compare, usually, the MBA 1.86/2.13 with SSD, to a 2.4 GHz MBP with an HDD at 7200 rpms. I state that the MBA will be faster for "common tasks" again. I use this as a point of reference because quite a few people who would consider an MBA have used a 2.4 GHz MBP...

At the same time, a 13" MBP will be faster than an MBA with SSD, if the Pro has the SSD too! The thing is the MBA comes stock configuration with the SSD while the Pro doesn't.

I still think the MBA is the wiser choice for most people who think they want an MBP. As the MBA is really incredibly fast, with SSD, to the average user. Now, there are real pros out there that need additional RAM to run some apps, and there are Pros who need FW and dedicated graphics and Express Card slots, and larger displays and etc etc etc... but most of those people aren't buying a 13" MBP, because the low end Pro only really beats the MBA on ports and RAM capabilities.

I think that most people have a negative understanding of the MBA because the first one ruined the brand name, and later units with HDDs and 1.6 GHz CPUs get classified as an MBA just like a 2.13 GHz with SSD does. And the problem is there is a huge difference between the two MBAs!

I love the MBA and I am not afraid to recommend it to those who I feel would enjoy the MBA over an MBP even if they think they need an MBP. The fact is that most people would be really really happy with an MBA with 2.13 GHz CPU and SSD. These would be buyers just have the more power mentality.

Again, to this OP, I recommended the 13" MBP!

Rai Saix

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Now everone is against me! XD

I guess I'll lean toward the MBP. But I'll still wait for Rev. D. And then we'll pick this up again.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
Raidude, another consideration you should make is that the approximately 2-yearly intel mobile processor upgrade (Arrandale) is due later this year - expecting to hit notebooks early 2010- if you aren't the type to regularly upgrade your notebook, you should perhaps wait for that.

See this monster thread for some info:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/668803/

And like you, I'll wait for Rev D! (if it doesn't compromise on graphics by shunning the Nvidia series)

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
why are there so many threads and so many posts on them all about this.

if you want portability go with the MBA
if you want power go with the MBP.

it's that simple. your MBA will be outdated faster than your MBP.

the MBP is a workhorse, and a workstation. the MBA can still work, but i can't tell you how much i'd rather be on MY MacBook than MY Mac mini. a small upgrade can be a lot

what is the argument here, am i missing something?

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004

I totally agree with you. In fact, the snappiness of the system is probably the main reason I'm going to get an Air over a MBP. I don't need the power of the 15" Pro, and at the same time, I know I wouldn't be happy going with the 13" MBP. What I do really want is a system that feels fast. I don't want to feel like I'm waiting around for the computer to catch up to me. I want it to be ready for me. I know that the Air will give that experience to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.