Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sheffroid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2012
Okay, so my mid-2009 MacBook Pro was a great machine, but I'm thinking of upgrading. Honestly, if I get a new laptop every 3 or so years, will the MBA work just fine? I'm a student. I like multi-tab browsing, Office Suite applications, iTunes open amongst a few other things at the same time, but I really don't like lag/slow response. Thus, upgrading from the 09.

I'd prefer to keep it cheap, but I'm looking at the future, what are your guy's thoughts? Is the retina just ridiculously out there for what I need? Or in a year or two will the MBA at approx $700 less make me upset?

Just looking for any input.

Thanks guys!

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
For what you are saying you need it, the 2010, 2011 or 2012 MBAs will work fine. Decide how much you want to spend and get the newest/beefiest MBA you can afford.

blumpkin

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
Okay, so my mid-2009 MacBook Pro was a great machine, but I'm thinking of upgrading. Honestly, if I get a new laptop every 3 or so years, will the MBA work just fine? I'm a student. I like multi-tab browsing, Office Suite applications, iTunes open amongst a few other things at the same time, but I really don't like lag/slow response. Thus, upgrading from the 09.

I'd prefer to keep it cheap, but I'm looking at the future, what are your guy's thoughts? Is the retina just ridiculously out there for what I need? Or in a year or two will the MBA at approx $700 less make me upset?

Just looking for any input.

Thanks guys!
I had a maxed-out 13" 2011 MBA and it was ****ing fast as ****. I sold it (long story), and I miss it, so the other day I ordered a 13" 2012 MBA. Doing anything on that thing was an awesome experience, pretty much zero lag time for any of my uses (more or less in-line with yours).

My first one was maxed-out.
My second one has been maxed-out, aside from the $500 (LOL) 512 GB SSD option.

You will not be disappoint.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.