Tornadoes

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by swiftaw, Jun 11, 2008.

1. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Omaha and the surrounding area has been under a Tornado Warning for at least the last hour. This is the second one this week (a Tornado touched down in Millard on Saturday night).

I have been in Omaha almost two years and these are the first two tornado warnings I've experienced.

Anyone else been through this?

The part of the storm that is most likely to generate tornadoes looks like it'll pass south of my location - although there has also been reports of baseball sized hail in other parts of town.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

good luck!!

tornadoes are pretty common out that way

don't take any chances

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. swiftaw thread starter macrumors 603

swiftaw

Thankfully we are a little north of 'Tornado Alley'. I couldn't imagine living in Oklahoma. (Actually I couldn't imagine living in Oklahoma even if they had no tornadoes :) )

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

spoken like a true cornhusker fan

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. swiftaw thread starter macrumors 603

swiftaw

Actually, not a Cornhusker fan at all. :)

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i have yet to meet a nebraskan that wasnt a cornhusker fan!

and that is me saying that after living in nebraska for 9 years

back to topic, we just got hit hard here in windsor colorado with tornadoes

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

can't blame you there, not the way they have played the last few years :eek:

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

I'm offended by that comment ...

The last tornado "warning" that i experienced was in '99.. Now I'm in earthquake/wild fire country.. :rolleyes:

9. swiftaw thread starter macrumors 603

swiftaw

Fair point, but when you get them, you get them big.

10. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

we had a tornado for the first time in 10 years.

it only tore down some old buildings, all the new construction around them was fine. still though, a tornado 3 miles from my house!

11. 11800506 macrumors 65816

We had a few tornados around Washington D.C. about a week ago which was really unusual for our area since it is somewhat hilly. The t-storms we had that spewed the tornados were really rough compared to ones I had experienced before.

12. swiftaw thread starter macrumors 603

swiftaw

Where in DC are you? I lived there for 3 years a while back.

13. jvencius macrumors regular

Yep--lately SE WY has been getting a fair bit of twister-generating weather but it's not that big of a deal. Either (1) when I hear the town sirens go off or (2) my NOAA weather radio alarms I grab the dog, the box with all our important papers (deed to the house, passports, insurance policies, et. al.), a six pack and head to the basement to wait the alarm out. I've never had to be downstairs for longer than it takes to pound one 6-pack...:D

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

lots of tornados all over this year. at least one has touched down in IL so far.

15. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Not in DC, but in North Bethesda/Rockville. Montgomery County didn't get any confirmed touchdowns but there were a bunch in Fairfax county. They were mostly in Northern VA. The storm itself though was bad that over 500,000 people in the region lost power many of whose power was not restored until a few days later when a heat wave hit (temps in the upper 90's with heat indexes into the 100's). The power outages were so widespread that Montgomery County schools and Prince George's County schools were closed the next day. Luckily I never lost power. :D

16. adk macrumors 68000

adk

You sound like you moved to Omaha from from non-tornado country. Keep a battery powered radio and a flashlight in the basement. If you hear the Tornado sirens, go downstairs. if you hear something rumbling like a giant freight train, that would be the tornado and it would be time to hide. Best place is under the stairs.

17. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

We have the second highest instance of tornadoes on the planet here in Aus (ie. US gets thousands, we get a few per year) yet we hardly ever see any because they're all in the interior where nobody in the right mind would want to live - I'm looking at you Alice Springs.

There was a little one that went through Perth's southern suburbs last week - damaged 130-odd homes.

18. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Weather Underground's severe weather page is clickable and leads to a Warning and radar image inset. Click anywhere on the radar and, depending on how you have the settings below that image (remember to Save your settings), you can even see lightning strikes and other interesting info.