Toronto for New Years

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Hipnomac, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Hipnomac macrumors regular

Hipnomac

hey all,

Im heading to Toronto for new years, anybody have any recommendations of good bars and clubs for downtown Toronto, or know of anything cool for new years.

thanks!

2. BCains macrumors regular

They always do a NYE show at Nathan Phillips Square, thats free.
    It has performers, fireworks, countdown etc but very crowded.

List of clubs for NYE

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

There are clubs for every taste, but some might be fully booked by now.

You would have to open up a little, and tell us your likes and dislikes.

Toronto has something for everyone. No lie.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I hate the pressure of New Years (Eve) to go out and be somewhere cool, or significant. If you're not doing something that someone else would be jealous of, you're a loser.

Then again, that's only when you're young. When you get old and tell younger people you stayed at home, people just kind of understand, because even young people think the pressure to do something on NYE is stupid. Young people still participate in this game, but they know it's stupid.

At 28, I'm "borderline" old. :p Wonder if I can get away with not doing much this year?

5. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

When not enjoying the NYE festivities I would say check out Queen Ave. Lots of shops and restaurants, bars and clubs, and just plan good fun.

It has been years since I have been to Toronto, but man that is one fun city. I really enjoyed myself and I am sure you will too.

I would say you should check out the CN tower. When I was there our hotel room was across the government center from the CN tower and had our own great view of the tower, only could imagine the view from the tower.

It would be cold out, but the lake shore is also a wonderful place.

6. Surely Guest

Surely

What kind of venue are you looking for? A club? Live music? A restaurant? A pub? Something free?

There are many choices, so you'll have to help us out and narrow it down.

www.toronto.com is a good place to start. If you google "Toronto bars" or clubs or restaurants, etc, you're apt to find some good sites to help you out as well.

Oh yeah, as synth3tik said, it'll be damn cold out. If you plan on doing something outside, dress warmly- wear a toque!!

7. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

Nathan Phillips is always good.

I'm personally going to Dream - Glamour and Glitz which is a hotel party/semi-formal. Always a good time.

Depends on your scene really.

8. Hipnomac thread starter macrumors regular

Hipnomac

Thanks for all the input everybody.

As for the cold it won't bother me much. I'm in chicago right now, and I dont think we have been above freezing for three weeks now, today its -20 with the windchill. Thats Fahrenheit for all you metrics out there.

Thanks for the helpful links.

I totally agree with Abstract, Im 26, and I feel like New Years is always overrated, so instead of spending it with my friends who all have girlfriends, I decided a solo mission was necessary to purge away all the holiday cheer.

I guess Im looking for a good party with pretty girls :) arent we all, haha.

I should be able to find something cool.

Nathan Phillips sounds like a good fall back plan, do they serve drinks there??

9. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Nathan Philips is a public square right in front of city hall (so no, they don't serve drinks there).... However based on the above criteria, may I suggest trying to get into the Much Music new years party? It's typically held at John and Queen St which is very close to a lot of bars in the entertainment district.

I won't be there to celebrate with you though, I'm headed to Welland. It's not really what you'd call a party place, but my friends (and their kids) will all be there and that's getting harder and harder each year.