Toronto - where to get hard drive replaced?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PkennethV, Dec 25, 2008.

1. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

Beam Echo is charging $85 to swap out the hard drive in my Macbook Pro (ordered the drive from newegg.com). Does anyone know if there's a place that can do it for less? Seems kinda expensive since it cost me $110 for the actual hard drive.

2. pyceasyas123 macrumors newbie

you can swap the harddrive yourself. its really very very simple...you just take the old one out and slide the new one in literally. google how to do it...im sure there will be something online...that will save you the 85$

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Buy your desired notebook HD from your local computer supplier, making sure it has a SATA interface and follow the instructions in the iFixIt guides. Could save yourself a packet.

Have fun! ;)

4. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

That is true, but id does depend on which MBP model you have. The new glassbooks have a really easy to access HD, just take off the back cover. The older ones are much harder, you have to remove the top cover and keyboard, it is not that easy, but still possible to do by your self.

5. PkennethV thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the replies everyone. I ended up doing it myself. Scared myself doing it (never took apart a computer before), but it ended up working out:)