Torq Screws

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Freis968, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

Where do you get replacement screws for the hard drive sleds? I stripped out a few of mine after replacing some hard drives over the past couple years.

Also, is there some special screwdriver you are supposed to use to remove the screws other than a Phillips head screwdriver?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes you use a Torx screwdriver.

3. rowsdower macrumors 6502

iFixit has some screws, but only full sets so they are probably a little more expensive than you were expecting.

4. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Torx? You know what Torx is, do you?

This is a Torx screw.
    [​IMG]

The Mac Pro drive sleds use Phillips screws, hence you can't use a Torx screwdriver.

Anyway, you can replace the srews with conventional hard drive screws. But you might want to put some rubber washers between the drive and the sled, like it is done with Apples preassembled screws.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No I didn't :rolleyes:

The title of the thread said Torq screws, so that was my answer was in response to.

Also my sledge uses those.

6. Freis968 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Freis968

Yikes, SCREW that!

Thanks for the repiles.

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

Those are full kits for various laptop units though. You should be able to find them in a specialty fastener store, such as Fastenall (they've a website and real stores). Take one in to one of the stores, and they'll be able to get you the right size, and last I used them, sell small quantities (it's been about 6 months).