Torrent client

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by giyad, Sep 7, 2007.

1. giyad macrumors regular

I just switched over to mac and I was wondering what torrent client people use on these things?

Thanks!

2. iElin macrumors newbie

3. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I've used Transmission, Azuerus and the eponymous BitTorrent, and I'm going to agree. Transmission all the way.

4. weckart macrumors 68040

I used Transmission to download Ubuntu (3gig DVD version) and found that I had downloaded over 5gigs with only 40% progress. Just be aware that there is a bug within Transmission that can lead to high redundancy on certain torrents. Otherwise, it is the only client apart from Azureus on Mac that allows you to select files within torrents to download. Work on utorrent for OS X, seems to have ground to a halt.

I also like Bitrocket a lot , but it crashes after a while when you highlight a torrent to tweak it.

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

XTorrent also does this (Watanabe uses Transmission's code)...

6. kwabena macrumors member

kwabena

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

XTorrent costs money when Watanabe uses Transmission's code. I wouldn't feel right paying for it...

8. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

9. Southern macrumors regular

Southern

I recently switched from Windows to Mac and I had been using uTorrent for my downloads. After switching I couldn't find any decent places where Mac Torrenting clients were discussed, but I have tried a few of them.

Bog standard BitTorrent: Fairly usable, does the job well with pretty decent features.

Tomato Torrent: Terrible interface, clunky to set up YUCK

XTorrent: You have to pay for it otherwise it is nagware and cut down so you can't go past a certain speed for downloads/uploads. On the flipside, nicely made program.

At the moment I am using the normal Bittorrent client, but if people are recommending Transmission, I'll give that one a go too. I was going to browse the boards today and check for a similar thread; how handy that there is one straight at the top of the page. Cheers for the suggestions

10. stephenc92 macrumors regular

stephenc92

uTorrent for mac is coming. For now use Transmission.

11. Southern macrumors regular

Southern

Ok I will, only I will probably wait until the next time I have to torrent an archive before I switch programs. Good to hear that uTorrent is on the way though.

12. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

My modem/router is allergic to Azureus :( so I use tended to use Transmission. Nowadays, since Transmission is a little pesky, I use uTorrent via Parallels (kinda roundabout, but it works).

13. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

vuze (beta) via azurez is THE BEST:D

14. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I paid for the full version of XTorrent and it is very good. With the latest update, you can select individual files within a torrent. So far I am very happy with the program and don't mind spending the money to help developers made good programs.

15. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Correct me, but if you want to remove a torrent from the download/seed list from within xTorrent, doesn't it DELETE it? Like the downloaded stuff as well?

16. weckart macrumors 68040

Correction. Was coming. Development has apparently ceased as the programmer has left the project.

No further news since the initial annoucement and the alpha screenshots came out.

The project may not necessarily be dead, but it will not be coming soon to the Mac.

17. giyad thread starter macrumors regular

thanks!

Thanks so much youve all been a great help! Transmission it is... I was wondering though, is there anything like peer guardian or safe peer for transmission?

18. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I really hate it when people say things like this.

What do you think OS X Server uses for all its server functions? Free software that you can download yourself (Apache, Postfix, OpenLDAP, Samba you name it).

So do you feel just the same when you buy Mac OS X or Mac OS X Server?

19. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

Xtorrent is banned on most good trackers, too. :/ Transmission ftw.