Torrent client

giyad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
I just switched over to mac and I was wondering what torrent client people use on these things?

Thanks!

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
I've used Transmission, Azuerus and the eponymous BitTorrent, and I'm going to agree. Transmission all the way.

weckart

macrumors 601
Nov 7, 2004
I used Transmission to download Ubuntu (3gig DVD version) and found that I had downloaded over 5gigs with only 40% progress. Just be aware that there is a bug within Transmission that can lead to high redundancy on certain torrents. Otherwise, it is the only client apart from Azureus on Mac that allows you to select files within torrents to download. Work on utorrent for OS X, seems to have ground to a halt.

I also like Bitrocket a lot , but it crashes after a while when you highlight a torrent to tweak it.

Southern

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
London, UK
I recently switched from Windows to Mac and I had been using uTorrent for my downloads. After switching I couldn't find any decent places where Mac Torrenting clients were discussed, but I have tried a few of them.

Bog standard BitTorrent: Fairly usable, does the job well with pretty decent features.

Tomato Torrent: Terrible interface, clunky to set up YUCK

XTorrent: You have to pay for it otherwise it is nagware and cut down so you can't go past a certain speed for downloads/uploads. On the flipside, nicely made program.

At the moment I am using the normal Bittorrent client, but if people are recommending Transmission, I'll give that one a go too. I was going to browse the boards today and check for a similar thread; how handy that there is one straight at the top of the page. Cheers for the suggestions

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
My modem/router is allergic to Azureus :( so I use tended to use Transmission. Nowadays, since Transmission is a little pesky, I use uTorrent via Parallels (kinda roundabout, but it works).

wwooden

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I paid for the full version of XTorrent and it is very good. With the latest update, you can select individual files within a torrent. So far I am very happy with the program and don't mind spending the money to help developers made good programs.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
I paid for the full version of XTorrent and it is very good. With the latest update, you can select individual files within a torrent. So far I am very happy with the program and don't mind spending the money to help developers made good programs.
Correct me, but if you want to remove a torrent from the download/seed list from within xTorrent, doesn't it DELETE it? Like the downloaded stuff as well?

weckart

macrumors 601
Nov 7, 2004
uTorrent for mac is coming. For now use Transmission.
Correction. Was coming. Development has apparently ceased as the programmer has left the project.

No further news since the initial annoucement and the alpha screenshots came out.

The project may not necessarily be dead, but it will not be coming soon to the Mac.

giyad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
thanks!

Thanks so much youve all been a great help! Transmission it is... I was wondering though, is there anything like peer guardian or safe peer for transmission?

Cromulent

macrumors 603
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
XTorrent costs money when Watanabe uses Transmission's code. I wouldn't feel right paying for it...
I really hate it when people say things like this.

What do you think OS X Server uses for all its server functions? Free software that you can download yourself (Apache, Postfix, OpenLDAP, Samba you name it).

So do you feel just the same when you buy Mac OS X or Mac OS X Server?