Torrent Clients

Discussion in 'macOS' started by obelix112za, Apr 19, 2008.

1. obelix112za macrumors member

I've tried all torrent clients for Mac. For some reason if I leave them on, and go to work / bed, when I return they've frozen & don't even want to force quit. Can't be the torrent clients, I've tried all of them. The only way then to shut down my iMac is holding in the power button at the back. Can't be good for my Mac.

The torrent client I currently use is Transmission & lastly I tried Bits on Wheels.

Handbrake just quits after a while as well.

I'm running Leopard 10.5.2, fully updated on an Intel iMac.

2. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

Yeah, Transmission always hard locks my iMac (2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM). It's a real PITA. It's a shame since Transmission has a lot of useful features. I use BitRocket. It isn't as feature rich as Transmission but it handles 30-40+ torrents easily, can be left on for weeks, and uses very little resources.

3. Chunk72 macrumors member

Chunk72

I've had no problems with Transmission on our Mac's and it runs 24x7.

4. obelix112za thread starter macrumors member

Someone suggested it might be 3rd party RAM, and I do have 4GB RAM bought from crucial.com, so I'm gonna do a hardware test now and see what happens.

5. obelix112za thread starter macrumors member

I've tried pretty much all the torrent clients.

6. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

Hmm interesting. I have 4GB from OWC and I've never had any other programs hard lock me other than Transmission. When I have time I'll try to run a memtest and report back here but I doubt that that's the problem.

7. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I've had no problems with Transmission 1.11, it's been rock-solid reliable, running for days on end (even with lots of other system resource-eating processes going on). Not sure what your problem could be, but that's definitely not normal behavior.

8. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

killmoms, how many torrents do you have on at any given time on average, though?

I did a memtest using Rember last night and my OWC RAM seems fine. I'm pretty sure my hardlocks are Transmission related. Apart from last night my iMac has only ever hardlocked when Transmission is running (last night for some reason it hardlocked and BitRocket was on.. but I think that had more to do with my hundreds of Safari windows and tabs open then anything else).