Torrent decoder question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brn2rnjk1, Apr 5, 2012.

1. brn2rnjk1 macrumors regular

I use transmission and XLD for audio files (not commercial product). What do people use to decode video. I am a newbie on this so maybe I am not asking the question correctly.

2. simsaladimbamba

HandBrake, MPEG Streamclip, or do you mean a player, because that is the one one uses to decode. XLD, HandBrake and MPEG Streamclip are used to transcode.

What do you want to accomplish? Play back download files or change the format/codec (transcode) thus it is playable by an i-device?

3. brn2rnjk1 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm. For audio, I have been using transmission to d/l and then xld to decode so i can put it in iTUnes (not even sure that this is the best way but someone suggested it).

So, I do have Handbrake. Are you saying I can use Transmission to d/l and then Handbrake it for iTUnes? That would be great.

4. simsaladimbamba

HandBrake has several presets for iOS devices, which when you use them, allows you to put downloaded videos into iTunes (after they have been transcoded of course), regardless of what software you used to download those videos.

5. brn2rnjk1 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Its the terminology I am confused with. Does Transmission transcode or does Handbrake (or do I need another program)

6. simsaladimbamba

HandBrake does the transcoding, like XLD does for your audio files. Transmission does the downloading, as it is a torrent download application, not a transcoding application.

7. brn2rnjk1 thread starter macrumors regular

Perfect and thanks. I will Handbrake video and XLD audio