Torrent dl speeds horrible on mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Freddy1765, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Freddy1765, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

Freddy1765 macrumors member

I've been using a MBP for a few weeks now, and recently it occurred to me how slowly torrents are downloaded in applications like Transmission or µtorrent - isn't there any way to improve these speeds?
    In Windows I'd download at ~1,5 MB/s while playing online games / skyping / browsing in Chrome.
    In OS X I'm getting 100 KB/s and Safari almost times out loading just one tab.

I'd hate having to turn on my desktop to download stuff.. so inconvenient, and its noisy as ****, though I guess it may come to that.

I've already messed with port forwarding and similar stuff, and even though speeds have increased they're significantly lower than what I'm used to. Obviously I've tried multiple torrents, its not just traffic on a single download that's causing this. Any suggestions?

2. jason221 macrumors 6502

Limit upload maybe? Whenever I used to torrent on my Mac, I'd always max out my download speed. I was using private trackers, though, so I don't know how well the torrents you're downloading are being seeded.

3. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Transmission works perfectly for me on multiple sites.

5. iMacdude313 macrumors regular

6. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

It's definitely about how you set things up on Transmission. You can get great speeds. I get 1.5 MB/s. I usually set my download rate a bit lower when I'm in the house, but it doesn't keep me from streaming video while I'm downloading at th 1.5 level.

You need to setup your allowed number of peers and connections right, or it will lag like nobody's business though. Too many tends to kill my internet connection completely.