Torrent files appearing for no reason.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by peepeepoopoo, Nov 5, 2009.

1. peepeepoopoo macrumors newbie

Hi peoples. For some unknown and mad reason, I keep getting torrent files appearing on my desktop. I've tried deleting them many many times but they keep reappearing time after time like some annoyingly persistant STI. They are always the same files that crop up, possibly ones I downloaded a while back, but I want them gone because they upset me. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Do you run a torrent program?

If so, check it's settings to make sure it's not set to check your desktop automatically, maybe it is the reason the files keep re-appearing.

3. peepeepoopoo thread starter macrumors newbie

I use Transmission but haven't ran it in ages. I've checked the settings and can't find an option of that nature. They appear out of the blue, even when i'm not running any programs.

4. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Could be some weird ghost files, though I've only ever seen them in the trash..

Try repairing permissions in disk utility.
    (Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app)

5. peepeepoopoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Jus tried that, thought it worked, but the little buggers pooped up again. What the hell is going on?!

6. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Hmm..

I'm not too sure what to do, I've never encountered such a thing before.

Maybe trash them, then secure erase or secure empty trash. Click Finder, then on the top task bar select the "Finder" menu, and Secure Empty Trash, see if that stops them from somehow popping back up.

Other then that, do you have any external drives you periodically connect/disconnect? Maybe they were on there and deleted, but the drive was dismounted before you actually emptied the trash. I'm not sure how they'd make it to the desktop in that case, but you can never be sure.

7. wimsy macrumors newbie

tvshows.app

I assume you've found the answer to this, but I'll post anyway. In my case, it seemed that tvshows.app was doing this. When I opened it, it was subscribed to the shows that kept showing up. I "unsubscribed," disabled, then uninstalled tvshows. That seems to have done the trick.