Torrent Program?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by taluh, Sep 14, 2009.

1. taluh macrumors newbie

taluh

hi, i have tomato torrent at the moment but all of a sudden it no longer connects to tracker.
    Could some one please help me with this prob or let me know of a fast, simple torrent program (preferably one where i can view my downloaded torrents and curent downloads, like bit torrent)
    THANKYOU! :p:apple:

2. optyks macrumors newbie

3. sharkethic86 macrumors newbie

i personally use Vuze (Azureus) - works great and has great wifi syncing to your PS3 or xbox so you can watch the media you just downloaded on your mac on your big hdtv!

4. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

Transmission. Light footprint and excellent speeds.

5. nws0291 macrumors 6502

6. philgilder macrumors 68000

7. broken-chaos macrumors regular

broken-chaos

My vote's for Transmission too. I used to use Tomato, but it got a little too light on the features for my tastes.

Now I'm using Transmission with it set to download to ~/Downloads/Torrents (with that directory not Spotlight indexed for speed concerns), and automatically add torrents in ~/Downloads. As well, it picks a random port on startup and automatically gets it opened, and only accepts encrypted connections. Works great. Only annoyance is that it can take a long time to finish cleaning up when I quit - up to a minute to finish writing out to disk and doing its thing.

8. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Transmission blows away the utorrent version for the Mac

9. Gattz macrumors regular

I've never heard of Transmission, why is that better than say Vuze or uTorrent? I use uTorrent on PC, but not on Mac because it's in beta for Mac. I've been using Vuze instead because it does what I need it to do. I don't like the videos page, though. I mean if you just set your settings correctly, isn't it all just doing the same thing in the end?

10. DKatri macrumors 6502

transmission has served me well for a year or so now

11. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

Another vote for Transmission.

I use uTorrent on my netbook, but only because there is no Transmission for Windows. :)

12. taluh thread starter macrumors newbie

taluh

Transmission it is then :)

Thank you for all your help!
    :D

13. broken-chaos macrumors regular

broken-chaos

It's a very mature application on OS X - been released for years now. I found, years ago, Azeurus (as Vuze was called then - which was the last time I touched it) was too bloated and useless-feature-heavy for my liking. µTorrent sounds like it's still in beta on OS X...

On a more idealistic note, Transmission is also open source, which is more than I can say about µTorrent... I'm also wary of Vuze's 'custom' licence requirements, beyond the GPL.