Torrent Programs and 3rd party apps for Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pishtols, Nov 8, 2007.

1. pishtols macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, hope you are all recovering/enjoying leopard. I was going to start this thread only talking about torrent programs, but while im here i may as well make the discussion wider to cover all 3rd party apps.
    I purchased leopard and installed, but i have gone back to tiger for the moment, apart fom the InDesign problems, im not convinced other smaller third party apps are fully functional with leopard. Everything from Azureus, to Toast/Popcorn, VLC player, Podworks, etc. I wasnt a mac user when Tiger was released, so i dont remember how long it took smaller 3rd party apps to release new OS versions, anybody that can shed some light? I apologise if this is a ball breaker of a questions.
    Thanks

Paul
    BTW, my orignal question is this: can anybody suggest another option to Azureas that is good. Thanks

2. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

Transmission. Azureus is bloated and has such a crappy interface. It just sucks.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm having no issues whatsoever with Azureus. What's the problem?

4. pishtols thread starter macrumors newbie

azureus problem

hi, thanks for the fast replys.
    Azureus keeps wanting to download new updates and patches for itself, like all the time, then it will crash.... I may give Transmission a go. Thanks

5. shlauncha macrumors member

Transmission is as good as it gets. And now that it supports encryption it's all I ever use.

6. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I'm using Transmission on Leopard. Great app.

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

+1, I love Azureus. It has a lot of powerful features (granted not everyone needs these so perhaps it is not the best solution for them) and it runs just fine on my G4 iMac with 1 GB of RAM - definitely not a hog on my old system! ;) :D

That being said, I have heard Transmission is good as well.

8. rudiger10 macrumors member

after using both, i'd say, go with azureus if ur hard core with torrents, otherwise, transmission is the way to go. although in ur case where azureus wont work well on leopard, then id say transmission is ur best option

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I love Transmission: its simple, fast and beautiful...

10. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

Exactly. I'm a minimalist, and Transmission has all the functions I can imagine needing with a very minimal, but pretty interface. It gets the job done too.

11. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

'Nuff said ;)

12. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Just in case that last post wasn't clear: Transmission. Great little app.

13. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

I think Azureus is more for the advanced user, while transmission is alright for basic torrent needs.

Azureus is the best by the way, and there is way to turn off "check updates on startup"

Preferences>Interface>Start ...There you can uncheck =)

14. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

Unfortunately it seems utorrent for mac is still dead in the water. Transmission is by far the best app thus far.

15. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

16. mpcoady macrumors member

mpcoady

Xtorrent!

Xtorrent is also a pretty sexy app. Granted, I believe a license costs like $15 or something, but I feel it is worth it. It has a search built into it & has a great look to it.

That being said, I will agree with everyone else on this board & say that Transmission is an awesome client. It's simple, user-friendly & best of all it's free.

Azureus is awful.

17. andburn1 macrumors newbie

It annoys me that I can't find the article right now, but I remember seeing speed tests and Transmission was THE slowest of the 5 Mac torrent apps tested. Sure, it's pretty, but it's not the fastest.

18. iisdmitch macrumors member

Azerus is okay, I dont have a problem with it on leopard, but is there anything on mac similar to bitcomet on windows? I love that program but they do not make it for the mac.