torrent sites?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by benlee, May 24, 2007.

1. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

what are some good torrent sites? I want something that is like mininova- good clean site. Anyone got any? TIA

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I don't mean to be rude, but that's a bad question to ask. IF there's a really good, underground get-whatever-you-want tracker out there, no one is going to mention it here. The only thing you'll get mentioned in this thread is big-name public trackers that you're probably aware of anyway.

Also, I feel like a post like that very well may violate TOS depending on what you're looking for on these trackers.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Do you smell thin ice under you're skates? You describe the symptoms that lead to that conclusion :)

4. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Que?

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

He seems to be skating on thin ice...

6. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Oh, he...I thought you were talking about me and I was confused :)

7. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

8. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

Ok

well i wasnt expecting a trial...but there are torrents that aren't illegal. AAMOF, I'm interested in live shows, that are usually legal postings, but i dont want to have to wait to register like on dimeadozen.

9. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Just because the OP wants to know a torrent site does not make him a criminal. Torrent sites have plenty of material that is legal to obtain.
    Now if he was asking where he could find a copy of Tiger, then I would condemn him to the wasteland, but this is not the case.

10. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

True, but unfortunately threads like this generally go one of two ways:

1. Someone starts talking about illegal stuff and the thread gets wastelanded.

2. The discussion heads in the tedious direction of what's illegal/moral/whatever - and the thread gets wastelanded.

So hopefully someone will just cut to the chase and wasteland it.

Google "bit torrent sites" if you want a nice selection...

11. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I didn't mean to imply he was *necessarily* doing something illegal, and I certainly didn't want to put him on trial. However, asking something like "what's a good BT site" is like asking "what's a great underground club" -- if there's a good place like that, most people don't want to give the name out and ruin what made the club/bar good in the first place, it's relative obscurity.

My point was that he's not going to get any recs that aren't public and well known.

12. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Another problem is even IF a site contains legit stuff, it would probably also contain illegal things, which would violate the TOS.

13. janey macrumors 603

janey

The very opposite of "clean"...or good, or fast, or trustworthy,...

http://bt.etree.org/ is a good, TRULY CLEAN usually entirely legal bittorrent tracker, if you're interested.

More like the underground club has rules about not mentioning the club to the public, otherwise you get to face being kicked out of the club. And the club is extremely attractive and amazing and you can't live without it...so you'd have to be nuts to name the club in public and as a result jeopardize your being part of that club. Because the entire reason why the club is so amazing is because it's so exclusive and unknown.

Yes, exclusivity, what you might say is the antithesis to the concept of p2p and bittorrent in particular, is actually a good thing on BitTorrent nowadays, thanks to all the *&#$ing leechers...

14. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I hate bittorrent. It's so slow compared to iTunes, and it's hard to find good quality content. Just use iTunes, and if you can't find what you are looking for, buy the DVD or CD. If it's not on iTunes, DVD or CD, it's probably illegal:)

15. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

Is it just me or is there about 3 topics a day on MR about this exact same thing.

16. janey macrumors 603

janey

Not necessarily, like I said, exclusive sites are worthwhile, fast and have nice selections.

Anyway, there are some things that aren't on iTunes (a lot of foreign songs for starters...) or CD...it's mostly mainstream American music.. :rolleyes:

17. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Is it illegal to download stuff from Torrent? Or just illegal to upload stuff? Or both? I don't do either, but I just wanted to know.

I also dont think there is a big selection of clients for the Mac.

18. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Chomskytorrents.net is a nice legal torrent tracker with stuff from public lectures, indie film and music etc.
    might not be what the OP is looking for though.

19. janey macrumors 603

janey

Suuuuuuure.
    none, one or both may apply. this depends on where you live, what it is, etc.
    azureus should be fine, no other clients needed (unless you want something like rtorrent instead).