Torrent Speeds

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by code:9999, Feb 22, 2009.

1. code:9999 macrumors newbie

I'm using Transmission, and it seems that the speeds that I'm getting are up to 150K DL and 80K UL. From what I've heard around other speed problem posts in various forums, these are pretty decent speeds. Now, pardon if I'm a little naive on this topic, but according to shaw, my max speeds should be around 7.5MG and 512K.

Now downloading I can understand. Not everyone has a super fast connection, and my max download speed is limited by whoever's max upload speed, so 150K sounds alright. I also understand that you never actually reach your max speeds even on the third monday of a March (March is the only month with no stat holidays in Canada) at 4:30 in the morning. But 80K (usually around 30K or 40K) upload speed? Most bargain bin internet connections have at the least a 256K download speed, so my upload speeds should be at least averaging around 100K. What's especially frustrating, is when I look at my completes, and see that there are other peers downloading, yet that torrent only sporadically uploads at all.

Now I've checked, and I do have the latest version (1.5) of Transmission, and yes, my port is open. Is there some way to juice some extra speed out of this, or is this just the way torrents work?

2. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Your probably not gonna get a lot of help with torrents on this website.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You are limited by the maximum speed for which you pay from your ISP.

Aaaand if anyone else helps him more than that, you know what will happen.

4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

There is nothing wrong with discussing the technology behind the torrent system, it is used for legitimate purposes by a number of companies, Blizzard for instance.

Discussion of the use of torrents for piracy will obviously be deleted, but the OP has not asked about that.

5. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

90% of the time torrents are used for piracy. (90% is probably an understatement)

6. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I'm well aware of what torrents are used for thanks, I was simply pointing out that MacRumors has no issue with discussion of the underlying technology.

7. kolax macrumors G3

You have a 7.5Mb internet connection (read: 7.5 Megabit, not Megabyte) if I understand your OP correctly. That gives you a maximum download speed of around 800KB/s (read: Kilabytes).

To increase your speed - set your upload speed to 15-20KB/s. Anything higher, and it will probably start to impact your download rate.

Also, speeds vary depending on who is seeding, how many seeders to lechers ratio etc.

Finally, make sure you tick off "Ignore Unecrypted Peers" in Transmission settings whenever you are getting poor speeds. It is possible for that specific torrent that not many people are using encrypted software (like Transmission).

8. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

As long as the OP doesn't specify s/he is using illegal torrents we can help, correct? To make your speeds faster for your torrents you should download Vuze, it changes your settings for you to make the download speeds faster.

9. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

This is correct, we use Vuze to make podcasts available to students and colleagues.

I will, however, gleefully jump up and down on any suggestion of help with piracy in any form.

Piracy costs me money.

10. kolax macrumors G3

The new version of Transmission has greatly sorted out some of the speed issues. I have no issues with speed with Transmission 1.5.

11. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

I use Vuze and it has excellent download and upload rates. Downloading Vuze would be my suggestion.

12. mgirg macrumors regular

I found I got much faster download speeds with version 1.42 of transmission. With 1.42 I get up to 700kb/s but with version 1.5 i only get up to about 100kb/s, but version 1.42 does take more time to connect and start downloading.

does anyone esle have this issue?

13. kolax macrumors G3

Well, that's quite a vague description of the problem. What are you downloading? Set up Transmission right? Opened a port etc etc?

14. code:9999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Aha! That makes a lot more sense. I just did the conversion, and my amazing 512Kb upload speed is a whopping 64KB, so I'm actually getting as much juice (sometimes even more) out of my connection as I ever will. Sigh. The sly world of marketing.

I tried Vuze, but I found it a bit too complex for my liking, and I wasn't too interested in trying to dig through the advanced options to find the control that lets me download more than 4 torrents at a time. Also, Vuze is a bit of a resource hog, and my mini would not suffer gladly, especially while using fast user switching.

15. mgirg macrumors regular

I have tried it with the same files and exactly the same settings on both versions of transmission, with an open and correctly forwarded port. I have decided to just astick with version1.42 for the time being