Torrent use on a mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by -brady2, Jun 20, 2008.

1. -brady2 macrumors newbie

for some reason i cant download any torrents, its ridiculously slow. im using telus with a gigaset modem, not sure the exact model number, se 567 i think, using the airport card or whatever. I just got a mac this past sunday and i have no idae what to do because its retarded with like 1 kb/s

2. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

what software are you using?

i find that limewire is also a very good torrent downloader.

and i'm sure your internet doesn't have anything to do with it.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

have you opened a port in your router and put than in your BitTorrent client's preferences and then added your BitTorrent client to the firewall (Leopard) or added the port number in your firewall (Tiger and before)?

4. -brady2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, slow down. I do not know how to open a port in my router, or do any of this, and im pretty sure my firewall is on all access right now.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ ok that was just a test :D! i was going to say "do you know how to… blah blah"

what router do you have? go to here and choose your router and then UTorrent and go thru the steps to open a port (ignore the UTorrent steps). use any port over 10000 (recommended). bare with me! it sounds hard but just get thru that part then youre sweet.

which BitTorrent app do you have? open it and in its preferences enter the port you just opened. then quit it.

then in the Firewall preferences click "Set access for specific…" and open your BitTorrent app. it should ask you if you want to accept incoming connections. click "Allow'.

6. -brady2 thread starter macrumors newbie

k wtf. i open view in bittorrent and theres not the starting port thing. and im using wireless, so the steps they show for that are useless.

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

what app are you using? is it just called BitTorrent? or Transmission? Azureus?

dont worry about the steps in the guide for the app, its for Windows, just do the steps for opening a port in your router in Safari.

8. -brady2 thread starter macrumors newbie

just bittorrent. Im thinking of switching to Azureus since i hear its better.

9. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

With Telus you have to use transmission with port 50001 open.
    otherwise it gets 'traffic shaped'

10. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

use Transmission its much easier and is more of a Mac app. in the Preferences under Network just put in the port number.

11. -brady2 thread starter macrumors newbie

k, i have no idea what you mean. i go to forwarding a port and find my router then it gives a me a big list of apps

12. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

choose UTorrent but then dont do the UTorrent steps, just the part for your router underneath.

13. -brady2 thread starter macrumors newbie

so i go into transmission then go to preferrences and put 50001 in the port after i click network?

14. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ yes but of course you still need to open that port in your router using the steps on portforward.com

15. stealthninja macrumors member

stealthninja

I don't mean to insult you but could it be that your torrents themselves are the cause of your slow downloading speed? not all torrents are created equal the speed of the torrent depends on the uploading speeds of the seeders and peers as well as your seed to peer ratio (ie 1 seed and 200 peers = slow speeds for peers). If you have friends that torrent maybe ask them for a torrent that is working well for them and then try it on your computer to see if you get the same speeds.
    Btw i use Azureus because it seems to connect better to peers than transmission did (but that could be different now with an updated version).

16. -brady2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry that I'm so computer retarded, this must be like teaching kindergarten children. But so im on portforward and I click my router, then i go to utorrent but dont do the steps/ so what do I do>

17. -brady2 thread starter macrumors newbie

well it was a fairly popular movie and from the looks of it there were a lot of seeders and leechers.

18. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

sorry i logged out for a while

we still dont know the make and model of your router! what is it? i might be able to make a guide for you.

19. -brady2 thread starter macrumors newbie

my modem acts as a router too i believe.

20. MinorBidoh macrumors 6502

MinorBidoh

and another vote for transmission, its quick and easy.

21. Balty macrumors 6502

Balty

I use transmission, and it works great.

I haven't had any problems with it... :cool:

22. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON