Torrents and loosing connection

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by G5Unit, Jul 10, 2009.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I have been downloading a large sum of TED Talks recently using torrents, and I have run into a problem.

I am using the application Transmission, and every once in a while, sometimes frequently, the application will halts its transfer, and my entire internet connection will loose bandwidth for about 30 seconds. Then it just seems to start up again, only to do the same exact thing in maybe 10 minutes or so.

I am connected over a DGL-4300 router and this only happens with torrents.

What is the cause behind this?

Thank you!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Perhaps your ISP is detecting bandwidth use and is throttling you down

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

That's what I was thinking as well, yet that they wouldn't just simply slow me down? Or if they were cutting me off, why only do it for 30 seconds?

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I don't torrent, so I can't say for sure, but perhaps just to irritate, break the connection, or let you know they know... I know Comcast throttled torrents for a while. Not sure they still do or not.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

It could be your torrent client, I had similar problems with utorrent until i switched to vuze i don't know what it is, but i would try to switch clients and see if the same problem happens

6. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I've tried using vuze before but my computer is a PowerMac G5 Single 1.8Ghz so I need a lightweight app:(

7. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

the try something like utorrent or bitrocket

8. slinky0390 macrumors regular

transmission is your best bet for a lightweight client, check your bandwidth preferences to see if the speed limit is enabled or if your global bandwidth is restricted.

9. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

You may want to give OpenDNS a try replacing/changing from automatic the name servers in your router configuration.

http://www.opendns.com/

10. mati0000 macrumors member

mati0000

I'm having the same problem with vuze, how can OpenDns help to this?
    I think that the ISP is blocking the trafic to the specific port that is consuming a lot of bandwidth. Is there a solution to this?
    I'm changing the port as soon as I lose the conection when Im at the pc. It would be nice if the torrent client change the port automatically.

Thx.

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

a few older versions of Transmission have been known to freeze up everynow and then whilst downloading, are you sure you have the latest version?

12. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

I noticed with my ISP that whenever the speed increased that the ping time to my name servers they provided went up accordingly until they were unable to resolve the IPs, this does not happen with the OpenDNS servers.

I always try to go with popular game ports or if your ISP offers it the port they use for VOIP.

Your Welcome.