Torrents and opening Ports

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vp719, Aug 6, 2007.

1. vp719 macrumors regular

I have the latest MBP and use Transmission to download torrents. My question is, how do you open ports so the dl's run faster? I searched in apple support and found out how to do it going through utilities and airport admin. but my comptuer says it can't detect airport, which means i can't open the ports the way support tells me too. Here are the directions i'm looking at:
    Open Airport Admin Utility
    Select your base station and click "Configure".
    In the "AirPort" tab, click "Base Station Options...".
    In the "Ethernet Port Security" tab, check the "Enable NAT Port Mapping Protocol" checkbox.
    Click "OK".
    Click "Update".
    NB: NAT-PMP requires MacOS X 10.4 Tiger, as well as up to date Airport software and firmware.

I'm new to this all so this may not have made any sense, but if anyone can help me i'd really appreciate it, right now transmission is running through port 9090 but it says there is an error mapping the port....help please, thanks

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

System preferences - sharing - firewall - new.

Then you'll probably want to select new and you can enter the ports you want opened.

3. NoOneButMe macrumors regular

Here's instructions on forwarding ports with an Apple Router :)

4. vp719 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks, just tried that...transmission still says that the port is stealth and there was an error mapping port??

5. vp719 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks...i'll try that tomorrow, i don't have the DNS servers it's talking about and i think my isp is closed for the day...hopefully it works....So if i just follow those steps and make a static IP for myself, then the port will open?