Torrents and Podcasts download while sleeping?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mac-Addict, May 28, 2007.

1. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Will my Macbook Pro download torrents and podcasts while asleep with the lid shut? Or will I have to keep it awake the whole time I am away (4days)

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Not while its asleep. There is a program to keep your MBP awake while the lid is shut. InsomniaX, or something like that.

EDIT: Here it is.

3. Mac-Addict thread starter macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Oh cool thanks! :D Know I can download my torrents and podcasts while I am away :D <3

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I really would be wary about leaving your MBP on with the lid closed for 4 days. It could get awfully hot in there and it isn't designed to stay cool with the lid closed.

If you're going to leave it on, why not leave the lid open and turn the display off.

5. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

Err, I thought that was what clamshell mode is for? Don't lots of people leave there MBPs closed and runnning for periods of time? :confused:

6. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

They're actually designed to be shut, turning on clamshell mode, and then opened up again. (Once in clamshell mode, even when you open the lid the internal display remains off. To return to the internal display, you have to remove the display adapter dongle.)

7. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

So what you are saying is it that it's ok to run a MBP more or less indefinitely in clamshell mode?

:confused:

8. bohrsatom macrumors member

Surely it's called clamshell mode because you have the screen shut, rather like a clam shell?

9. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

Sure that's why it's named the way it is, but the question here is can you run them closed more or less indefinitely without jeopardizing the machine.

10. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

Hang on, I missed this one. Are you saying that you actually have to have the lid open for the duration of use and that closing it is just to 'activate' clamshell mode and then you should open the screen again? :confused:

11. ajhaji macrumors regular

It's perfectly safe to leave your laptop's lid shut while using it with an external monitor. I've done it with many different laptops for many years, and I've never had any issues. Of course it gets a little warmer, because the airflow is restricted, but the machines are designed to withstand it.

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

As long as he's not trying to render a CGI movie or running a folding program, I doubt heat will be much of an issue. With his GPU idle, there probably won't be much heat generated anyways.

13. Lolito macrumors 6502

Lolito

It would be AWESOME to hack osx or a given torrent client to enable it to work while computer is sleeping, just like the Powernap feature of newer macbooks and newer osx versions...

in that way, just like osx updates while sleeping, torrents could be downloaded while sleeping.

Any tips of any hacks to enable this?

14. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I may be totally missing something here, but I just leave mine open and on, it will go to sleep and still be downloading whatever I have on there.

15. Lolito macrumors 6502

Lolito

maybe a nas would be a wiser solution right?
    I´m not sure but can a NAS download overnight?