Torrents and Quicktime

Witty lama

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Sydney
I've just downloaded my first torrent file on my MacBook (using Azereus) and though the file is complete (in .avi format) and it starts to play in Quicktime there is neither sound nor pictures. Just a white screen. The first time I tried to play it Quicktime said something like "You may be missing some files, check here: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/resources/components.html

What, if any, of these add ons do I need? What is the problem?

Yours in Ineptitude, Witty lama

pepeleuepe

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2002
Los Angeles, California
Vlc

Your best bet would be to download VLC and play the AVI file with that. VLC includes almost every codec you would need and its easier than trying to find the right plugins for Quicktime (which sometimes don't exist).

VLC will play almost any video you download, so you'll learn to love it.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Most likely it is encoded in DivX. This seems to be the most popular codec used for video. Download te QuickTime plugins from divx.com and you should be good to go. The benefit of doing this over using VLC is you can drop the file into your Movies folder and play it in Front Row.

Nothing against VLC, but I just love Front Row.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I highly recommend VLC as well -I use it to play all of my videos. That being said, I don't have Front Row, so I can see the attraction in that as well. If you are wanting to go the QT route, grab those divx codecs and grab yourself Flip4Mac as well. :cool:

Witty lama

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Sydney
cheers guys, DivX worked a treat.
I wanted to stay within Front Row and once I downloaded the codec it worked automatically in Quicktime, DivX player and FR.
Cheers!

Witty lama

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Sydney
Ok, new but very related problem.

I've made several things work now but one movie only plays without sound. The video is crystal clear but it's totally silent. the same error message pops up in Quicktime directing me to the same site here:
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/resources/components.html

The file is in HDTV.Xvid-AC3
What other codec(s) do I need to get the sound to work?
:confused:

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
Witty lama said:
Ok, new but very related problem.

I've made several things work now but one movie only plays without sound. The video is crystal clear but it's totally silent. the same error message pops up in Quicktime directing me to the same site here:
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/resources/components.html

The file is in HDTV.Xvid-AC3
What other codec(s) do I need to get the sound to work?
:confused:
The AC3 sound codec. :p

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
I gave up downloading videos from torrents or other p2p sites. Too many damn codec/players to hunt down to make it work.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
VoodooDaddy said:
I gave up downloading videos from torrents or other p2p sites. Too many damn codec/players to hunt down to make it work.
What do you mean? I 've downloaded hundreds of videos and have never had a problem playing any of them using VLC or QT. 2 players. Everything you need. What could be simpler? :confused: :cool:

FredClausen

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
KALM
~Shard~ said:
What do you mean? I 've downloaded hundreds of videos and have never had a problem playing any of them using VLC or QT. 2 players. Everything you need. What could be simpler? :confused: :cool:
Only one player :)

The whole codec war is stupid. Surely there has to be a better way to distribute video eh?

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
But alas, does not VLC have nothing to do with anything that uses QT components?

i.e. Front Row, FCP, DVDSP, etc wont play what QT wont play, right?

If it plays in VLC but nothing else, find the codec, dont be lazy. I only use VLC when QT wont play it, just to be sure its even a video. If VLC does play it, i look for the codec so I wont need VLC.

if you got the Xvid and AC3 codec, you should be good to go. Sometimes people have weird versions of Xvid, but if you know where the video came from, people would already have gotten your question about what codec to use, answered.