Torrents are incredibly slow in Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NoSmokingBandit, Nov 17, 2008.

1. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

I have a torrent going that is being saved to a FAT32 partition (so i can get to it from windows easily) and it is downloading ungodly slow on leopard. It has a few hundred seeders but i cant get download speeds over 20k/s and most of the time it is just uploading and not downloading at all. My ports are forwarded properly so that isnt the issue. When i boot into vista, however, my speeds are much better. I was seeding at 20k/s and downloading at 130+k/s. What would make it so much slower on leo?

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

3. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Are you using Transmission? If not, get it.

Fat32 is a bad, bad, bad idea on OS X. You should download the file to a HFS partition and then copy it to your windows drive if you need it so bad on vista.

4. himansk macrumors regular

I have never had speed problems on OSX, seen over 5MByte/s speeds in some cases (including on FAT32)

5. NoSmokingBandit thread starter macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

I am using transmission, Vuze sucks and bitrocket is just a bigger app with the same features as Transmission.
    Thing is though, i have a torrent downloading to my hfs drive and it goes slow as well. The one im downloading to the fat32 partition is there just so i could test downloading the same torrent in vista. I generally do download to my hfs partition. The torrent i have downloading to my hfs partition is downloading at a consistent 8-12k/s and it has plenty of seeders.

I should mention that when downloading in vista i was also playing Gears of War so it probably would have been faster with less intensive apps running at the same time. So there is a massive issue going on somewhere...

any ideas?

6. trawler macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I am having the exact same problem... Torrents start fine, go up to around 400k (depends on the torrent), then all of a sudden drop down to 10-11k.

I've just finished downloading the same torrent in approx 400k on my windows xp. This is extremely frustrating...

7. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

What is your upload rate? Sure you aren't over saturating your bandwidth by uploading too fast?

8. NoSmokingBandit thread starter macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Everything works well with the new uTorrent beta. Idk why that app works but none of the others do.