Torrents extremely slow

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Axelorox, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Axelorox macrumors newbie

I've been having an issue with downloading torrents on my 2012 Macbook Pro. I've had files that have been downloading for weeks and are still only at 40%. The issue is that the transfer will often just stop on its own, and when it is actually active it will download at a snail's pace (max around 5kB/s if I'm lucky). Up until today I just tried Transmission but now I've tried utorrent and Vuze and am experiencing similar issues. With the latter two that I tried recently, some transfers started off really fast (in the hundreds of kB/s range) but then pretty much became inactive after 67% or so. When I tried removing and readding one of these files, it just didn't download. Can anyone help me out here?

2. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Likely not if you are pirating stuff (I do realize torrenting is not illegal in itself. However, one of its main uses is pirating).

Check out the Forum Rules, especially "Things not to do" #8.

If you are not torrenting legally, no help here. Sorry.

3. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

4. robvas macrumors 68020

Torrents can only download as fast as other people upload. If they stop seeding you stop downloading.

5. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

You also have to set up your router so that you are not leaching.

If you don't know how to do this, go to a torrent site and find out there - this is the wrong place to ask. Or you could <shutter>read the documentation</shutter>

6. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

+1. If the source becomes unavailable (if you are torrenting from a single source), you stop. An alternative is that the source file could be corrupted or not a complete copy of what you are downloading.

7. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Boy you know those Linux people always up to no good :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

8. sessamoid macrumors member

What you describe is common when everybody who has a complete copy of the file stops seeding. So the only people left are those who don't have complete copies. The torrent progresses until everybody has every other piece that other active users have, but if nobody has a complete copy you can either wait until one of them starts seeding again or just give up.

This is not a Mac issue. It applies to all bit torrents.