Torrents not downloading in Yosemite mac

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by shankar2, Nov 1, 2014.

1. shankar2 macrumors 6502a

Since I've upgraded to Yosemite from Mavericks, no torrent is downloading at all. The download won't even start.

Can anyone please suggest any fixes? Thanks!

2. iMac-Do-You? macrumors member

Have you updated your torrent client to the latest version? I'm assuming all other Internet/network access is functioning correctly?

3. shankar2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes i hv the latest torrent client but the download doesnt start

I chked yosemite firewall hv kaspersky which i disabled but still same

Kindly assist

4. KALLT macrumors 601

5. Harry Muff macrumors regular

If you're not using Transmission, then get that and test it.

6. saudor macrumors 6502a

kaspersky
    ^ get rid of that. anti viruses these days are more of viruses themselves. Cause far more problems than they're worth

Plus any actual virus maker would first test their virus to make sure it bypasses anti virus detection so it's really silly to begin with.

7. shankar2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I hv disabled kaspersky already temporarily but no success

What is transmission?

I'm using bit torrent for mac latest version this was working with Mavericks fine i had kaspersky then too

----------

Hi, I tried transmission but it stays the same no downloading at all.

I checked this program's preferences and found that the "peer listening port" is always closed no matter what random number the program generates.

What program could be turning off this port? Kindly assist. Thanks!

8. kolax macrumors G3

Your router. But it's not an issue (I have mine blocked on purpose). There's something else broken - who is your internet service provider? Perhaps they've tried to block P2P traffic.

Though I suspect issue between keyboard and chair.

9. shankar2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The issue is I had Mavericks with kaspersky, and same router/adsl modem and the downloads were fine.

Why are the downloads not happening in Yosemite? :(

10. IA64 macrumors 6502

Downloading right now torrents from Yosemite ( utorrent ).

All is good.

11. drew627 macrumors regular

Could just be that it's blocked on your network. Do you live on a campus?

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try holding the shift key when booting to boot to safe mode. That will prevent Kaspersky and all other login and startup items from running to eliminate that as the issue. Then look in Transmission prefs for the green light showing the port is open.

13. shankar2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi I tried to run the mac with shift key pressed so it launched without extensions. However the port seems to be blocked still (in Transmission prefs). What could be wrong now? Thanks!

14. shankar2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

New Update: I tried transmission in my old mac running mavericks and the port is closed there too in prefs. So I guess it's either my router or adsl modem or my ISP that's blocking ports now. What should I do now? Thanks!

15. adamcarvell macrumors regular

adamcarvell

how you guys find downloading torrents on a mac im ordering a mac mini and intended to download them to external hard drive ? is the mac min ok with torrents if so I wont bother with an external drive .

16. kolax macrumors G3

Of course. Though, if you get the fusion drive version, I'd separate the SSD and 1TB HDD, and use the 1TB HDD for torrents. Writing torrents to an SSD isn't a great idea.

17. randomgeeza macrumors 6502

Transmission works fine on Yosemite... Or at least, I have not had any problems.

18. mmomega macrumors 68030

mmomega

uTorrent works great for me, sometimes maxing out my download speed of around 12 something megabytes/sec.
    I've been using that program prior to and throughout Yosemite DP to test it.

19. adamcarvell macrumors regular

adamcarvell

Whats the best way to set up utorrent on a mac mini save the small torrent file and video on the internal drive or externally which works best ?.

20. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Depends on how fast your internet connection is, how fast you can download a given torrent and how fast your external drive is. In some circumstances the download may be limited by the external disk speed if you are on a fast fiber connection.

But if you are worried at all, download to the internal and set a folder action to move the completed download file to your external drive.

21. adamcarvell macrumors regular

adamcarvell

Internet speed is 150mb i was planning on usb3 external drive however if the mac mini is ok with lots if downloading read/write etc as i average 150gb a month torrenting id just stick with the internal drive ?. Maybe a fusion upgrade hows it affect ram is 8 gb ok fir such tasks

22. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I wouldn't use a fusion, putting media through the SSD part of the fusion is a waste.

8GB will be fine and then some.

23. adamcarvell macrumors regular

adamcarvell

so if I bought any upgrade then at purchased 16 gb ram will do me for a good few years and keep the 1tb drive as it is

24. scapegoat81 macrumors 6502a

scapegoat81

Why wouldn't you write torrents to an SSD ? Serious question by the way....

25. adamcarvell macrumors regular

adamcarvell

if I went for fusion I would write the torrents on the normal h/d .I have budget for either the 16gb ram upgrade or the fusion which would be the best way to go bearing in mind the ram is soldered ?.