Torrents not working in Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thenetstud, Oct 30, 2007.

1. thenetstud macrumors member

I am having issues using torrent applications in Leopard. I use a MacBook connected wirelessly to my Airport Extreme Base Station.

Prior to purchasing this computer I used Windows Vista on a PC with utorrent, never had any issues always had good speeds when I should.

Just got the MacBook with Leopard. I have tried three torrent programs, BitRocket, Transmission and Azureus. I have enabled port forwarding on the base station and in each client.

I have had the most luck with Transmission, I will be able to download sometimes but my speeds with fluctuate from top speed to 0kb/s within a minute and this happens during the entire download process.

BitRocket and Azureus won't even start downloading at all for me.

Last night I installed Windows Vista using BootCamp and put utorrent on as well. Started a download and I had no problems just like when I was using my old PC.

Any ideas of what I could be doing wrong?

2. thejedipunk macrumors regular

thejedipunk

Maybe Apple is trying to prevent its customers from using torrents? lol jk

Seriously though, I can't help you. I rarely, if ever, use torrents. :/

3. sirjec macrumors newbie

I had the same issues with azerus and bits on wheels. Currenly Transmission works fine - will have to wait for updates on the other clients.

4. bluefiberoptics macrumors regular

bluefiberoptics

Have you forwarded the necessary ports? (Don't get mad at me for asking this question, just need to confirm)

5. Queso macrumors G4

The latest Tomato Torrent version is Leopard compatible. You'll be able to download it from VersionTracker etc.

6. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

yes this is true. I had Tomato, and it would not work. Upgraded to the new one, and it works great.

7. blahbrah macrumors 6502

azureus has been working fine for me for some reason.

Is it telling you you are firewalled or is it all NAT OK?

8. sarbob macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem here!!! i was using Tomato, with no problems at all. Everytime I tried to open a torrent it would not start...I have upgraded Tomato and even tried Transmission but to no avail.

it almost as if I am blocked from opening torrents?!

9. Queso macrumors G4

You may be behind a router that blocks P2P behaviour. They are quite common in places with shared Internet connections.

10. sarbob macrumors newbie

Sorry for my ignorance here but how do i check if i am behind a P2P?!

11. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

12. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

You could try to use utorrent. (cause there's also a mac version. I always use it. Works fine for me).

13. sarbob macrumors newbie

i have downloaded from piratebay but also tried from different sites and still no joy!

14. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I just know that the piratebay tracker is kaput so unless the torrent creator uses different trackers then you will have problems downloading at a decent speed for the piratebay.

15. fswmacguy macrumors 6502

fswmacguy

You're likely behind a "firewall" of sorts that's blocking your access to P2P networks. P2P means "Person [to] Person", and is used when talking about programs such as Limewire, and of course torrents.

Check with your ISP to see if they're limiting P2P action. I know, for instance, that my ISP cuts my upload speed down to a matter of single-digit kb/s, even though my download speed is up in the 3mb/s range.

16. tongteh macrumors 6502

have exactly the same problem here.. i always have to go back my windows desktop if i want to download something via torrent.. :( would be great if some one provides an answer to this..

all torrent client on a mac seems to fluctuate download speed very frequently.. :(

17. miknos Suspended

miknos

I use Transmission and downloads are at 100% all the time.

Open Transmission and go to Preferences/Network tab and see if the light is green (port open).
    [​IMG]

In case it's not, try changing (ie. 51410) and use Airport utility. Go to Advanced/ Port Mapping. The IP might be different; Just change both numbers (51413 to 51413):
    [​IMG]