Torrents, transmission, ...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chickyd, Oct 12, 2009.

1. chickyd macrumors newbie

I only just got my first ever mac at the weekend so am still a bit unsure of how far i can push this thing.

On my old windows machine i used utorrent to download as and when from the bay and elsewhere.

Now on a mac I have somehow convinced myself that in order to keep the system slick and clean if I'm going to download anything what I need to do is install windows 7 on a virtual machine, install utorrent on that, and then do my stuff on the virtual machine so osx stays healthy.

Is this a reasonable step to protect myself?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

surely, you'd want to do the opposite? You're much more likely to get a virus on the Windows side.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

No, there's no way I'd install and run a VM for nothing more than torrenting. Just use a native OSX torrent client.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I wouldn't do that. There are no viruses for OS X so you shouldn't worry and also look what you download. If there's suspicious (eg when downloading music or movies) .pkg or .dmg file, DO NOT RUN IT!

5. stuarthatto macrumors regular

6. chickyd thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, OK thanks for that..

I read Transmission is the best, lightest torrent app so i'll get that up i reckon - i think utorrent is still in beta.

It's not so much the viruses than just my system getting clogged up and slow. But i guess that's why i moved to mac, so i wouldn't have to worry about that.

No need to keep the vmware 3 beta running anymore then. The excitement of having aero enabled quickly passed when i experienced the lag.

7. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

transmission might be lightweight, but its incredibly featureless compared to utorrent for pc. too bad the mac version of utorrent is lagging behind in development as well. such is the world of mac...always behind on software.