Torrents

Discussion in 'iPad' started by migdaddy, Jun 6, 2012.

1. migdaddy macrumors 6502

Anyone able to download a torrent file onto their iPad? I do it on my MacBook pro via u torrents and demonoid, but it would be nice to do it on the iPad. If so, what app do you use? Or does my iPad have to be jail broken in order to do this?

2. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

You need to jailbreak and download Itransmission from Cydia to download torrents. Apparently it needs to be upgraded though to work with 5.1.1!

3. migdaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

All the good stuff is through jail breaking. I may jus have to do it..

4. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

No good reason to not jailbreak!

I've got itransmission and it works fine on 5.1.1

5. migdaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

Should I use absinthe 2.0.4? Or redsnow?

6. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

Well, it may not help you, but both transmission, and utorrent have remote capabilities, so you can add, remove, etc, torrents on the move.

7. migdaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

But to use transmission, I need to be jail broken correct?

8. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Which version do you have? Can you specify what version number and repo you got it from? I couldn't get it to work. I was copying magnet links and using them in transmission but it wouldn't start downloading. The link was being seeded as well!

9. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

I used absinthe with no problems, though I have also had good experience with redsnow in the past, it's really up to you, as far as I know, they both do the exact same thing.

----------

I have version 1.1 from the ihacksrepo source

I have also had problems with it in the past, here are some things you will need to check, though I unfortunately don't know how to solve many of the problems myself.

in the preferences menu, the gear in the right hand corner, scroll down and click the "check port", if it says "oh bad..." then there is a problem with allowing seeders to connect to your device.

2nd: How long have you waited after attempting to start downloading a torrent? It sometimes takes me up to 10 minutes, the app has to be up on your screen, it doesn't background (though if you have quasar you can get it to background). And oddly, sometimes it won't start downloading until I start a second torrent at the same time.

10. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

I got it working! :D Thanks man!!

11. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

Good to know. I could not get itransmission 2 to work either.

12. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Unfortunately something happened after I installed this. Videos stopped working with embedded videos or YouTube. It's probably because it's an old version and it's incompatible. I uninstalled and everything works again.

13. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

If you simply want to access transmission on a computer on your home network, or over the Internet, no. No need to be jailbroken at all.

14. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Seriously? Torrenting on an iPad is really kind of ridiculous.

15. migdaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

Care to elaborate?

16. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

I think I encountered this problem before as well, didn't know it was itransmission. I don't seem to have it now though, maybe it's a conflicting tweak?

I guess if it is vital for you, you could just install it when you need it, though if you torrent a lot, it wouldn't be a very practical solution.

17. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

I guess it's just because the package is not compatible with 5.1.1. It worked fine though otherwise.

18. BiggAW macrumors 68020

BitTorrent is pretty resource intensive, so it's better off on a computer, but the types of files you download would be very hit or miss with an iPad to even open, and being mostly video, it's stuff that doesn't make sense to be on an iPad.

19. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

This, absolutely. Operate your torrents remotely, and you are good to go. There is no way I would want to be torrenting to my iPad.

20. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I sometimes feel like I'm the only person who pays for stuff.

21. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

You're not. I'm not a thief, I pay for my stuff.

22. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Yeah, I'd just assume walk over to my PC to control torrents, but there are already web-based controls in some clients that you could just use on Safari on an iPad.

We're going to have a new round of heat and battery-related complaints when people start torrenting. :D

I pay for things. Sometimes.

23. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

torrents on the go is silly. Use your computer and dont get lazy.