torrents?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macnfab, Sep 20, 2009.

1. macnfab macrumors regular

macnfab

I keep hearing about them. Can I ask without being a total idiot what are they? and what are they used for? Someone told me I needed it to update a software that I have.

How safe are they?

Thanks for any input you have.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Torrents are a way of distributing the load of sending a file across the network.

You can read more about them here.

Basically, instead of downloading the file from one source, you download smaller parts from a bunch of people and the torrent application puts the pieces back together. While you are downloading a file, most torrent applications will have your computer send out parts of the file you have to other people to help out.

There are many uses for them. Blizzard uses torrents to send out their game patches for World of Warcraft. You can usually download Linux ISO's via torrents. In general, if the file is large you can probably get it via torrent. Getting torrents themselves is usually not dangerous, however the resulting file you get would be just as dangerous as if you had downloaded the whole file from one source.

3. macnfab thread starter macrumors regular

macnfab

i need an update on my serial box.. do I have to do a torrent for that?

The original app was given to me by a friend so i didn't need to hunt it down, like i am trying to do now.

I refuse to buy some big-expensive softwares until I can try them 1st.

Thanks for your help.

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Illegal software is something that won't be discussed here. Sorry.