torx screw was struck in my macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lucky3killer, Jan 17, 2008.

1. lucky3killer macrumors regular

I was tried to re-check my macbook pro if it does okay, in previous, I was replaced the new HDD in MBP but it was defective then replaced back to stock HDD. I wasn't means to screw the torx so tightly in near to RAM, on bottom of MBP, there's 2 torx screw in, one was struck and other one is fine. It was rotate but cannot get out, what would I should to do with MBP? how can remove it?

There's pic like that with red circle of 2 torx screw in nearly to RAM, left was struck and can rotate it but cannot come out, other right is fine.
    [​IMG]

2. lucky3killer thread starter macrumors regular

What's up with everyone? Does anyone have similar problem like that?

Please help me to how pull out the strucked torx screw from my MBP.

3. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

I know exactly what happened. You stripped the bolt. Your just gonna have to deal with it, there are ways you can get it out, and u could even re thread the hole, but how technically savvy are you?

4. lucky3killer thread starter macrumors regular

I don't know about technically savvy? I was just replaced the HDD at twice, everything are successful but only one torx screw was struck after I was tightly so hard. How I can re-thread the hole? Use drill machine will help to pull out?

My MBP is working greatly after one torx screw was struck, plus I can open the case when struck torx screw was loose, like rotate into loose but won't come out.

5. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Thats one option. You could drill out the screw and then use a re threading tool, to re thread the hole. For someone technically savvy its actually quite easy. But if you mess it up, you can get yourself into a world of trouble, damaging even more.

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Sorry to say it looks like some drilling will be required. :(

Happened a while back when adding another hard drive to the Mac Pro… the screws on the carriers are pretty soft… and someone at the factory was a bit over zealous with the tightening… so… stripped a screw. Luckily some veeeery careful drilling managed to get it out. :eek:

Mind you I can't imagine the terror of taking a drill to something as delicate as the MacBook's innards!

7. lucky3killer thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, thanks for helping.

I will get my relative to drill out, he does know about tech stuff, such as laptop and desktop.

I have no experience to use drill on laptop, I guess that need wait or even get deal with it.

8. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

No problem, in the future just make sure you don't over tighten. Just tighten the screws down until they are a bit snug, thats all you need. Best of luck!